{news} The whole world is watching--drug policy reform movement has a web section on candidates

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Sun Jul 23 05:01:11 EDT 2006

The people below are considered by many as international experts in not only drug policy reform but on many issues
that Green party people endorse.

http://www.drugsense.org/voteforchange<http://www.drugsense.org/voteforchange>

                                                        Vote For Change

            While effective lobbying and activism can bring about social reform at the highest levels, the act of running for office is another tool that can often significantly influence progressive change through the democratic process.

            In keeping with our philosophy that "knowledge = power", DrugSense has created the Vote for Change project, a website that will highlight the political campaigns of drug policy reformers who have thrown their hats into the political ring. We hope that this resource will not only call attention to the innovative political strategies of candidates in all levels of government who are working to end the war on drugs, and will also encourage other reformers to get more directly involved in the political process.

            If you know of any other drug policy reformer running for political office, please send this info to phil at drugsense.org<mailto:phil at drugsense.org>

                  2006 Political Candidates from the Drug Policy Reform Community
                  Candidate Party Office Location
                  Loretta Nall<http://www.drugsense.org/voteforchange#nall> Libertarian Party Governor Alabama
                  Cliff Thornton<http://www.drugsense.org/voteforchange#thornton> Green Party Governor Connecticut
                  Kevin Zeese<http://www.drugsense.org/voteforchange#zeese> Green, Libertarian and Populist Parties U.S. Senator Maryland
                  Roger Goodman<http://www.drugsense.org/voteforchange#goodman> Democratic Party State Representative Washington
                  Jean Marlowe<http://www.drugsense.org/voteforchange#marlowe> Democratic Party County Commissioner Polk County, North Carolina

            C A N D I D A T E  D E T A I L S

            Loretta Nall - Libertarian Party candidate for Governor of Alabama, 2006
            www.nallforgovernor.com<http://www.nallforgovernor.com/>

            "I hope that by running for Governor I will give Alabamians who wish for change in our barbaric drug laws the opportunity to voice their dissent without fear of retribution. If you believe that drug policy reform is needed in Alabama and you agree with my ideas then I ask you to support my campaign by making a contribution, volunteering, collecting signatures for ballot access and telling your family, friends and co-workers about my campaign."
            - Loretta Nall

            Cliff Thornton - Green Party candidate for Governor of Connecticut, 2006
            www.thornton.politicalgateway.com/cand.php?id=314<http://www.thornton.politicalgateway.com/cand.php?id=314>

            "We need politicians that are so committed to their jobs that they are willing to loose it to make the right decision. Any politician that is not willing to risk election should not be elected in the first place."
            - Cliff Thornton

            Kevin Zeese - Green, Libertarian and Populist Parties candidate for U.S. Senate for state of Maryland, 2006
            www.kevinzeese.com<http://www.kevinzeese.com/>

            "I'm running for U.S. Senate because the two major parties no longer represent the interests of most Americans. A recent poll described in July 16 th Economist, asked voters if they thought their elected officials represented their priorities. Only 17 percent said yes. And, if we look at the policies being put in place by those in office we repeatedly see that the American people are correct - their views are unrepresented."
            - Kevin Zeese

            Roger Goodman - Democratic Party candidate for Washington State Representative, 2006
            www.voterogergoodman.com<http://www.voterogergoodman.com/>

            "Our region is extraordinary and at the same time faces some serious challenges. Health care costs are too high and too many people are uninsured. We waste too much time in traffic. Our schools are stretched too thin. Let's roll up our sleeves and rise above the partisan bickering to address these challenges so we can enhance our quality of life. I ask you to support this campaign so that we can forge commons sense solutions for positive results."
            - Roger Goodman

            Jean Marlowe - Candidate for County Commissioner
            www.jeanmarlowe.net<http://www.jeanmarlowe.net/>

            "I care about the citizens of Polk County and their concern; the environment, education, taxes and fiscal responsibility. I am researching information and talking with the appropriate experts to find the best way to relieve you of your growing property tax burden."
            - Jean Marlowe

Thornton for Governor
PO Box 1971
Manchester, CT 06045