{news} (no subject)

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 08:49:04 EST 2004

Sierra Club endorses Burton
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:48:30 +0000

Sierra Club endorses Burton

The Redding Pilot, October 28, 2004

The Connecticut Chapter of the Sierra Club has announced its endorsement of
Nancy Burton’s candidacy for the office of State Representative, her
campaign has announced.  The organization selected Ms. Burton as one of 19
candidates for the state House of Representatives it has endorsed in the
2004 election campaign.

“The election of 2004 is in many ways the most significant election in the
recent history of our democracy both on the state and national levels,” the
Connecticut chapter stated in its announcement of endorsements.

“The endorsement process of the Connecticut Chapter of the Sierra Club has
accordingly attempted to reflect our responsibility to endorse candidates
for public office that we believe will truly champion the environmental
issues that our organization, by consensus, represents,” the statement read.

The Sierra Club Connecticut Chapter applied the following criteria for
endorsement: “1) the candidate’s overall environmental record and platform,
as measured by their history of public service, public statements, responses
to Club questionnaires; (2) the candidate’s performance on environmental
issues as an incumbent, if the candidate is an incumbent running for
reelection; and (3) the candidate’s prospect of winning the election, or at
least mounting a credible campaign.”

The Sierra Club is the nation’s oldest, largest and most influential
grass-roots environmental organization with 700,000 members nationwide.

“I am deeply honored to win the endorsement of the Connecticut Chapter of
the Sierra Club, an organization I respect for its commitment to
environmental activism,” Ms. Burton said.  “I have devoted a career in
public interest law to protecting the environment,” she added.

“I agree with the Sierra Club that clean energy programs create jobs and
reduce costs for consumers,” Ms. Burton said.  “We can jump-start the
Connecticut economy by promoting new technologies to achieve these clean-air
objectives.”  Ms. Burton said she would help forge new coalitions in
Hartford "to fight for common-sense solutions.”

As an environmental attorney, Ms. Burton said she has waged many successful
campaigns and legal actions which have resulted in land preservation and
better protections of the air and water.  She helped save the scenic
Horsebarn Hill at the University of Connecticut Mansfield campus from a
corporate development in a sensitive watershed area.  Ms. Burton said she
also brought an action that exposed the Georgetown sewage treatment plant as
causing pollution of the Norwalk River above levels that existed prior to
installation of the plant.

During the past five years, Burton has spearheaded efforts in the state to
shut the Millstone Nuclear Power Plant in Waterford and replace it with
clean renewable energy sources. She won a week-long injunction that kept
Millstone Unit 2 closed during the spring spawning season of an indigenous
fish species. A listing of some of Ms. Burton’s accomplishments appears at
www.voteburton.org.  Ms. Burton is challenging Republican incumbent John
Stripp in the race to represent the 135th District, which includes Redding,
Weston and Easton.