{news} (PRESS RELEASE) CT GREENS PUSH FOR VOTING RECOUNTS

Tim McKee timmckee at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 30 17:22:45 EST 2004

PRESS RELEASE- Dec 1th, 2004- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: TIM MCKEE, CT GREEN PARTY SPOKESPERSON- (860) 643-2282 or cell 860-324-1684
Mike DeRosa, State Co-chair, (860) 956-8170 or (860) 919-4042
CT Cobb spokesperson:Tom Sevigny, State Co-chair, (860) 693-8344
Cobb National spokesperson: Blair Bobier, Media Director (541)929-5755
 CT NADER SPOKESPERSON RALPH FERRUCCI (203)-430-9342 OR
 Nader National office- (202) 265-4000

CT GREENS PUSH FOR VOTING RECOUNTS
 3 Presidential candidates have filed suit in Ohio, New Hampshire, New Mexico and Nevada

   HARTFORD, CT- THE GREEN PARTY OF CONNECTICUT CALLED TODAY FOR A FULL RECOUNT IN STATES WERE THE VOTING FOR PRESIDENT MAY HAVE BEEN CLOSE.
    The G.P.  of CT joins the Green Party Presidential candidate David Cobb, Libertarian Presidential Candidate Micheal Badnarik  in the Ohio, New Mexico and Nevada recount efforts and Independent candidate Ralph Nader  in New Hampshire's recount effort.

     Tom Sevigny, a local spokesperson for the Cobb campaign said "The Ohio recount is necessary because of documented voting irregularities: numerous press and independent reports of voter intimidation, mismarked and discarded ballots, problems with electronic voting machines, and the targeted disenfranchisement of African American voters."

   He added  Cobb and Badnarik are demanding that Ohio Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell, a Republican who chaired the Ohio Bush campaign, recuse himself from the recount process.

    State Green Party Co-Chair Mike DeRosa said "Greens are demanding auditable paper ballot trails to verify all votes cast on computer voting machines.  If the result of the Ohio recount movement is the implementation of auditable paper ballots, it will be a huge victory for democracy. Most of the malfunctions allegedly favored Bush; the exit polls gave accurate results for Senate candidates, but not for the presidential candidates".  DeRosa leads a state coalition working to computer voting problems and ballot reform in CT called, CT VOTER.

     McKee explained "Greens aren't pushing for a recount because it'll change the outcome of the election.  (It probably won't.)  We're not fighting for John Kerry.  Greens are pursuing a recount because it's the best way to ensure fair elections and accurate vote counts now and in the future.  The integrity of the voting process is at stake: we won't know what other problems there might be with the election unless we recount".

   -- For the Democratic Party's leadership, the lesson of the 2000 Florida scandal was that controversy should be avoided, even if votes were obstructed or uncounted.  For the Green Party, the lesson of 2000 is that we need to fight for fair elections, the right to vote, accurate vote counts, and the future of our democracy.

   -- The Green Party has consistently spoken out for the right to vote and the right of every vote to be counted, for investigation of obstructed votes, and for auditable paper ballot trails to verify all votes cast on computer voting machines.  Greens are also campaigning for clean election options, Instant Runoff Voting, abolition of the Electoral College, enforcement of the 14th Amendment's guarantee of voting rights.

#end of release#
http://www.votecobb.org