{news} Green Party designates Burton's campaign as one of 39 'strategic races' it will support

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 3 13:02:57 EDT 2004

The Redding Pilot, Sept. 30, 2004

Green Party designates Burton's campaign as one of 39 'strategic races' it
will support

     The national Green Party has designated Nancy Burton's campaign for the
state House of Representatives as one of 39 "strategic races" it will
support.

     Ms. Burton, who is running against incumbent Republican John Stripp for
the 135th District (Redding, Weston, Easton) seat, was selected from a field
of 414 Greens who have declared their candidacy for public office in 40
states across the U.S. so far in 2004.

     "The candidates we've selected are those who are running high-profile
campaigns, who are exceptional in their ability to represent the Green
Party, and who are likely to make a strong showing on Election Day -- with
possible victories," said Amy Heart, co-chair of the Green Party's
Coordinated Campaign Committee.

     The Green Party is promoting and assisting all 39 candidates through
donor lists, media outreach, web site help, enlistment of volunteers, and
other organizational support.

     "It is gratifying to know that our confidence in Nancy is affirmed by
the national Green Party," said David Bedell, Burton's campaign manager and
secretary of the Party's Fairfield County Chapter.

     "We are very pleased to have Nancy as a Green Party candidate this
year," he said. "She has a proven track record of fighting for the issues
important to the Green Party:  public safety and public health, smart
development instead of unfettered sprawl, and challenging corruption in high
places."

     "If elected to the legislature, we know she will work hard to advance
these issues," Mr. Bedell said.