{news} Colin Bennett in LymeLine.com

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 31 14:43:41 EST 2004

http://lymeline.com/election%20bennett.htm

Colin Bennett (Green Party)

Candidate for Senate 33rd District – includes Lyme

Published 10/27/04

Biography

Colin Bennett has lived in Westbrook since 1995 and has been an active
member of the community for many years. He is a volunteer with the Westbrook
Fire Department, a member of the Westbrook Forest Commission, a Marine
Science Technician in the United States Coast Guard Reserve, and the founder
and president of the Great Land Conservation Trust, Inc. He is a teacher at
Saint Mary School in New London and the advisor for a student environmental
group at Saint Bernard High School in Uncasville. He is the father to Daisy,
age 5.

Questions

Driving in this area, especially on I-95, can be a nightmare.  What
initiatives would you like to see regarding transportation, and how would
you implement them?

“Most of the congestion in our state can be relieved through increased
commuter rail service.  If elected I would strongly advocate expansion of
service on existing commuter lines, as well the implementation of new lines
in critical areas; for example, commuter service between Old Saybrook and
New London in the a.m., service linking Old Saybrook and Middletown on to
Hartford, and trains from Norwich to Colchester and Hartford.

I also strongly support sustainable development, also known as smart growth,
which includes high-density, mixed-use neighborhoods.  If we, as a state,
embrace smart growth we will not only relieve congestion on our roads but
also reduce dependence on automobiles altogether.  Smart growth also helps
preserves open space, facilitates small business growth, and fosters
community connectedness.”

The economy and jobs are a concern to many district residents. If elected,
what steps would you take to ensure a healthy and vibrant economy?

“Historically Connecticut has been an agrarian state and we should recognize
this when we begin to look at ways to improve and expand our economy.
Connecticut is losing its farmland at twice the national average and had
lost over 100,000 acres of farmland to development in the last 15 years
alone.  I believe we should encourage small, family farms in our state and
create a program where local farms could provide food for our schools.
Since Connecticut, especially southeastern Connecticut, relies heavily on
tourism, increasing the bucolic countryside of Connecticut past would help
the tourism industry, thereby helping to ensure a vibrant economy.

Additionally, Connecticut should increase its stake in the technology sector
by encouraging businesses that develop and utilize alternative energy
sources.  Such technologies include wind and solar energies, as well as
hydrogen fuel cell technology. Connecticut should also set a goal of
recycling 100% of recyclable products in the state, thereby increasing jobs
in the recycling industry.  Furthermore, Connecticut needs to begin
seriously exploring alternates to paper from trees.  We have the opportunity
to become a state that sustainable companies look to when they want to begin
or increase their business and we should embrace this opportunity.”

Do you support a cap on the non-economic damages of medical malpractice
awards?

“I somewhat support a cap on the non-economic damages of medical malpractice
awards. Although I realize this is a rather vague answer, the question is a
very complex one.  I think that rather than restrict patients rights, we
should begin restricting the ability of insurance companies to raise their
rates to unreasonable levels.  Tort reform in our country has to be looked
as a whole and asking these kind of questions begins the process of reform.
We live in a very litigious society and this needs to be addressed as well.
So, in summary, I support limiting insurance company privileges, rather than
denying patients their rights, but I also believe that some sort a cap be
put in place in order to curb the 'Sue-Craziness' of our society.

What are the most important assets that you bring to the campaign, and how
would you be an effective legislator?

“As your State Senator, I will do everything I can to make sure that
everyone in the 33rd district has a voice, not every corporation.  As a
Green Party Candidate, I do not take any contributions from corporations,
PACs, or other special interests.  I believe in ethical government and there
will be no influence peddling during my tenure.

On Nov. 2, you will have the opportunity to help decide the fate our nation
for generations to come.  You will also have the chance to make a choice
that has the potential to help Connecticut be the great state it should be.
If elected to serve as your State Senator, I, Colin Bennett, promise to help
Connecticut be the state that sets an example for other states.

I truly love Connecticut and want to protect our vitality and heritage
currently threatened by the strip-malls, fast-food joints, and sub-divisions
invading every town in the state.  If we decide to take Connecticut back
from the corporations that are trying (and succeeding) to control our
government, we can begin to make Connecticut a state where every citizen has
a voice.  Not a state controlled by special interests or those rich enough
to buy influence among our current (or recently resigned) elected officials.
  Instead of being continually presented with a new government scandal that
brings shame upon our state, Connecticut should be setting the bar for other
states.

It used to mean something to live in Connecticut:  together we can make it
that way once again and help Connecticut be the great state it should be.”