{news} High school Presidential debate story

Tim McKee timmckee at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 28 14:47:11 EDT 2004

<<BackThe debate for president, high school style

(Guliford-WTNH, Sept. 28, 2004 12:18 PM) _ While the candidates for president prepare for this week's debate, some students at Guilford High School had a chance to fire off questions today in a mock forum.

   by News Channel 8's Tricia Taskey

While President Bush and Senator John Kerry are preparing for the first presidential debate this Thursday, Guilford High School is holding it's own mock debate with the help of some local candidates.

Harry Shepard, a state representative candidate, is playing the role of President Bush. Ed Meyer, a state senate candidate, is taking John Kerry's position. And Ralph Nader was represented by local Green Party member Ralph Ferrucci.

They debated the real issues, everything from the war to education, women's rights and outsourcing jobs.

"I thought it helped kids understand how their parents weigh the pro's and cons about how they decide who they want for president," said sophomore Christina Krampitz.

The Students for Democratic Society got the ball rolling on this debate. Advisor Mike Dalton says it's a great way to get kids interested in the political process.

"Traditionally people 18-25 are least likely to vote so the real point is to get student body interested and involved In the process," he says. "We're hoping kids who are 17, 18 and 16 now, they will remember these experiences and carry them into their adult life."

It seems like it may be working.

"Are you usually into politics?"
"No, not really," says freshman Brandon Packard, "but I learned a lot at this debate than I ever knew before."
"So are you more into it now?"
"Probably."

"I actually came here to get out of class, but it turned out to be real informative," says senior Chris Reynolds.
"So now are you interested?"
"Definitely."

They are holding a mock election Wednesday with real voting machines so kids can see how the whole thing really works. Administrators are hoping this mock debate and election will inspire students to watch the real presidential debate Thursday night.