{news} RE: Clean Energy and Energy Efficiency Update

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 19:16:04 EST 2005

Here's the final press release issued by Clean Water Action.  Levco has been
a power supplier in CT for some time, offering a cheaper, all-nuclear
alternative to CL&P's Standard Offer.  Now they are offering a "100%
renewable" option, but it is dirtier than the options soon to be available
from Sterling Planet and Community Energy.  Of course, CL&P still handles
all transmission and billing.

http://www.sterlingplanet.com
http://www.newwindenergy.com
http://levcoenergy.com

David

CLEAN WATER ACTION
             645 Farmington Ave, 3rd Floor, Hartford, CT 06105 (860)
232-6232

For immediate release				             Contact: Clean Water Action
March 31, 2005							    Roger Smith
                                        860-232-6232
	         rsmith at cleanwater.org

Levco Energy Fails to Demonstrate Environmental Benefit of “100% Renewable”
Electricity Offer; Environmental Groups Encourage Consumers to Choose “CT
Clean Energy Options”

HARTFORD—For the first time in recent years, consumers will be able to
choose clean energy on their electricity bills through the Connecticut Clean
Energy Options this April.  The Department of Public Utility Control
approved Sterling Planet and Community Energy to offer customers a
high-quality clean energy products at a modest premium over existing rates.

The Connecticut Clean Energy Options include energy from wind, clean
landfill gas, and small-scale, low-impact hydropower, and the premium
consumers pay for these options will support new generation from clean
energy sources.   These products offer significant health, environmental,
and economic benefits,  and have the support of the environmental community,
as they will reduce our reliance on coal, oil, nuclear power, and other
dirty energy sources.

“Connecticut consumers deserve to have a choice of how their electricity is
generated.  We are very pleased that this April consumers can sign up for
the Connecticut Clean Energy Options on their electricity bills.  The slight
extra charge will support clean energy sources like wind, and will help
reduce our air pollution and our dependence on fossil fuels,” said Roger
Smith, Campaign Director for Clean Water Action.

In contrast, Levco Energy recently offered and began promoting a “100%
Renewable Offer” which has no additional cost but also provides no
demonstrated environmental benefit.  Environmental groups are concerned that
this product is being marketed in a misleading fashion.

Levco’s marketing materials claim that people "can now choose to help the
environment without increasing their monthly energy costs” by purchasing the
Levco Energy 100% renewable product.  In a March 3rd letter to Levco, Clean
Water Action requested the exact product mix to substantiate their claim of
an environmental benefit, and to know if Levco would rule out using
incineration in their product.  Levco did not reply.  Levco’s website states
that their offer is only 1.5% Class I (clean) renewable energy, with the
remaining 98.5% less desirable Class II renewable energy from older or
dirtier sources.  Levco’s marketing campaign is misleading because:

•	Levco has not ruled out using incinerators for Class II energy, this
source is significantly dirtier than the regular offer, and incineration is
opposed by all the organizations below.
•	The mere 1.5% Class I clean energy is already required by state law for
all electricity suppliers and offers consumers no additional benefit
whatsoever.
•	Other Class II sources provide no additional environmental benefit as they
are not new.

Dr. Mark Mitchell, President of the Connecticut Coalition for Environmental
Justice said, "Incineration produces more air toxins than other methods of
generating electricity and has no place in any renewable energy option.
Incinerators are disproportionately located in urban communities and
communities of color, and are not an environmentally acceptable renewable
energy source."

For Levco’s product to truly benefit the environment it should at least meet
or exceed standards set by the independent Green-e organization. Green-e
represents the consensus view on the minimum requirements for electricity
products to be considered environmentally superior.  The minimum Green-e
standard in 2005 requires that 20% of the electricity come from NEW Class I
or equivalent energy facilities.  Green-e also prohibits the use of
incineration, bars purchases of nuclear power that exceed the system mix ,
and requires full disclosure of the resources used in the product.

“As a consumer advocate, I recommend avoiding Levco Energy’s ‘100% Renewable
Product.’  Levco can’t have it both ways, claiming to provide an
environmental benefit while refusing to tell us where the electricity is
coming from.  If they want our support they need to show that their energy
is at least 20% new and only comes from truly clean sources,” said Chris
Phelps, Legislative Advocate for ConnPIRG.

The undersigned environmental groups are working to create a market for
clean energy by encouraging consumers to spend their dollars supporting new,
clean energy sources.  For this reason, these groups urge their members and
supporters to avoid the Levco “100% Renewable Energy Offer,” and to sign up
for the Connecticut Clean Energy Options when they become available in April
2005.
###

Environmental Organizations Supporting this Statement:

Clean Water Action is a non-profit environmental health organization and
collaborator in the 20% by 2010 clean energy campaign.
www.cleanwateraction.org/ct/energy.html
The Connecticut Coalition for Environmental Justice works to protect urban
environments through educating communities, promoting changes in local,
state, and national policy, and promoting responsibility towards our
environment.
ConnPIRG is a non-profit, non-partisan advocate for the public interest with
over 20,000 citizen and student members throughout Connecticut.

Congregation Pnai Or
Connecticut Citizen Action Group
Connecticut Coalition Against Millstone
Connecticut Green Party