{news} (New London Day)Green Party slate for Council, School Board in New London

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 9 20:03:11 EDT 2005

Featured in Region
Green Party Slate Named For Council, School Board
New London
By KATE MORAN
Day Staff Writer, New London
Published on 8/9/2005
The Green Party announced Monday it will run two candidates for the City Council and one for the Board of Education.
Robert Stuller, a software writer who serves on the Conservation Commission, and Andy Derr, a carpenter who specializes in historical restoration, make up the council slate. Derr is the former chairman of the city's Historic District Commission.
Kenric Hanson of Ocean Avenue is running for the Board of Education. He has volunteered on the school district's science curriculum committee, the curriculum standards committee, and as a math and literacy tutor.
Stuller said Monday that the party is emphasizing development based on revitalization, rather than the tearing down of older neighborhoods such as Fort Trumbull.
“We want to change the style of development in the city from the clear-cut philosophy that hasn't worked,” Stuller said. “We need to start doing infill development, preserving our neighborhoods by upgrading the homes instead of leveling them.”

© The Day Publishing Co., 2005

      THE GREEN PARTY OF CONNECTICUT is the third largest political party in CT. The Greens are also the third largest political party in the US, with 220 Greens officeholders in 27 states. Over 80 countries in world have Green Parties. Wangari Maathai, the 2004 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, is Kenya's assistant minister for environment and an elected Green Party member.