{news} Fw: Sheehan at Storrs+Urgent Appeal to free CPT+ Call-in to stop the War

Justine McCabe justinemccabe at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 5 11:24:00 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Sadanand, Nanjundiah (Physics)
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 10:52 AM
Subject: [AL-AWDA-Media] Sheehan at Storrs+Urgent Appeal to free CPT+ Call-in to stop the War

Cindy Sheehan is coming to the quiet corner:

She will be talking at the UCONN  Student Union theater in Storrs, on this coming Monday night (Dec. 5th), at 7PM; doors open at 6:30PM; the public is warmly invited, and the event is admission-free.

As a special perk, the group organizing the event, the New UCONN Free Press Gang, will provide free copies of their very first issue at the door.
SIGN THE URGENT APPEAL: PLEASE RELEASE OUR FRIENDS IN IRAQ

Arabic version at http://electroniciraq.net/news/2210.shtml

Sign the petition at http://freethecpt.org

Four members of Christian Peacemaker Teams were taken this
past Saturday, November 26, in Baghdad, Iraq. They are not
spies, nor do they work in the service of any government.
They are people who have dedicated their lives to fighting
against war and have clearly and publicly opposed the
invasion and occupation of Iraq. They are people of faith,
but they are not missionaries. They have deep respect for
the Islamic faith and for the right of Iraqis to
self-determination.

C.P.T. first came to Iraq in October 2002 to oppose the US
invasion, and it has remained in the country throughout
the occupation in solidarity with the Iraqi people. The
group has been invaluable in alerting the world to many of
the horrors facing Iraqis detained in US-run prisons and
detention centers. C.P.T. was among the first to document
the torture occurring at the Abu Ghraib prison, long
before the story broke in the mainstream press. Its
members have spent countless hours interviewing Iraqis
about abuse and torture suffered at the hands of US forces
and have disseminated this information internationally.

Each of the four C.P.T. members being held in Iraq has
dedicated his life to resisting the darkness and misery of
war and occupation. Convinced that it is not enough to
oppose the war from the safety of their homes, they made
the difficult decision to go to Iraq, knowing that the
climate of mistrust created by foreign occupation meant
that they could be mistaken for spies or missionaries.
They went there with a simple purpose: to bear witness to
injustice and to embody a different kind of relationship
between cultures and faiths. Members of C.P.T. willingly
undertook the risks of living among Iraqis, in a common
neighborhood outside of the infamous Green Zone. They
sought no protection from weapons or armed guards,
trusting in, and benefiting from, the goodwill of the
Iraqi people. Acts of kindness and hospitality from Iraqis
were innumerable and ensured the C.P.T. members' safety
and wellbeing. We believe that spirit will prevail in the
current situation.
John Murtha says, "Bring the troops home", but Joe Lieberman says
"Our Troops Must Stay"
Lieberman says we must finish the "mission"
Lieberman votes to overturn Supreme Court decision on Guantanamo prisoner
rights
Enough is Enough
Picket Joe Lieberman
Monday, December 5
4 p.m.
corner Chapel St. and Alston Avenue
(two blocks down from Chapel and Forest Rd.
Bring banners and signs
Joe Lieberman was a key player in getting Congress behind this war
Lieberman is out of step with the American people and and out of step with
international law
Bring the troops home. End torture now!
Initial sponsor
Middle East Crisis Committee

National Call-In Day on Iraq War - Tuesday, Dec. 6

On Tuesday, December 6, Congress will reconvene in Washington, D.C.  -- and United for Peace and Justice, in conjunction with Win Without War, is calling for a massive national grassroots call-in day against the war.

We have an extraordinary window of opportunity to press our position. The Bush Administration is on the political defensive as never before -- witness Bush's very weak speech today -- and every day calls for immediate withdrawal from Iraq are becoming more widespread.
We're excited to be making this call together with Win Without War. As the two largest peace coalitions in the U.S., we have the potential to generate millions of calls to Congress.

We need to flood every single Congressional office with phone calls, faxes and email messages urging an immediate end to the war!

Senator Joseph Lieberman
DC (202) 224-4041 Voice
(202) 224-9750 Fax
For TTY Call 711
Hartford (860) 549-8463 Voice
(800) 225-5605 In CT
(860) 549-8478 Fax
http://lieberman.senate.gov/contact/

Senator Chris Dodd
D.C. Tel. (202) 224-2823
Fax. (202) 228-1683
Wethersfield Tel. (800) 334-5341 (CT only)
    or (860) 258-6940
http://dodd.senate.gov/webmail/form-opinion.html

Rep. John Larson (D-CT-1st)
DC Phone: (202) 225-2265
Fax: (202) 225-1031
Hartford Phone: 860-278-8888
E-mail: john.larson at mail.house.gov

Congressman Rob Simmons (R-CT-2nd)
DC Phone: (202) 225-2076
Fax: (202) 225-4977
Norwich Phone: (860) 886-0139
Fax: (860) 886-2974
Enfield Phone: (860) 741-4053
Fax: (860) 741-4059
http://simmons.house.gov/Contact/

Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT-3rd)
DC Phone: (202) 225-3661
Fax: (202) 225-4890
New Haven Phone: 203-562-3718
E-mail: delauro.ct03 at mail.house.gov
http://www.house.gov/delauro/

Rep. Christopher Shays (R-CT 4th)
DC Phone: 202-225-5541
DC Fax: 202-225-9629
Stamford Voice: 203-357-8277
FAX: 203-357-1050
Bridgeport Voice: 203-579-5870
FAX: 203-579-0771
Email Address: http://www.house.gov/shays/contact/index.htm
WWW Homepage: http://www.house.gov/shays/

Rep. Nancy Johnson (R-CT-5th)
DC Phone: (202) 225-4476
Fax: (202) 225-4488
New Britain Phone: 860-223-8412
Web: www.house.gov/nancyjohnson/

Have a look at our educational resources:
http://al-awdacal.org/resources.html

Become one of our donors!
Go to: http://al-awda.org/donatenow/
Al-Awda's Website: http://www.al-awda.org
Contact your representatives and elected officials: use
http://congress.cfl-online.org/
Unless indicated otherwise, all statements posted represent the views of their authors and not necessarily those of Al-Awda, The Palestine Right to Return Coalition.

      United nations  Human rights abuses  Universal declaration of human rights