{news} Fw: AFSC CT Calendar of Upcoming Events

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 23 22:37:12 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Kasha Ho
To: Kasha Ho
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:16 PM
Subject: AFSC CT Calendar of Upcoming Events

Friends,

In the interest of not overloading your email inboxes, I have put together an AFSC Calendar of upcoming Peace and Social Justice events for the next few weeks.  This list is by no means complete, so if you have an event that you would like folks to know about please send me an email and I will include it on the next calendar I send out.

Please note especially our preparations for a statewide Anti-War Demonstration in Hartford on March 19th.  To download fliers in English and Spanish please visit: http://www.tariffville.org/ccpj.

Keep up the good work.

Events are listed in chronological order:

Every Saturday until March 19th
Person to Person Outreach for March 19 Demonstration

Also in New Haven - contact AFSC 860.523.1534 for info.

10:00am- 12:00noon

La Paloma Sabanera coffeehouse,

405 Capitol Avenue in Hartford.

We have had fabulous results with this effort - I highly encourage you to participate. After a brief training, we'll walk in pairs through the neighborhoods, with maps and literature, knocking on doors and asking people to march with us. The more people on the doors, the more

people coming to the march.

If you are planning on coming, please contact Caitlynne Palmieri at 860-547-0122 or caitlynnep at hotmail.com

Every Tuesday until March 19th
Organizing Meeting for March 19 Anti-War Demonstration

7:30 p.m.

CT Green Party HQ, 418A New Britain Ave. Hartford

Contact: AFSC 860.523.1534

Thursday, February 24
Mubarak Awad, "Nonviolence and the Palestinian Struggle."

7 PM in Harry Jack Gray Center Room D, University of Hartford.

Awad is Founder and Director of Nonviolence International and the Founder and Director in Exile of the Palestinian Center for the Study of Nonviolence in Jerusalem.  The Center provides educational materials on nonviolent resistance and coordination and support for direct nonviolent resistant actions of people living under occupation.  The work of the Center includes a family reunification project and the publication and translation of writings on the theory and practice of nonviolence into Arabic.  Awad has worked for nonviolent solutions to the Palestinian and Israeli conflict by speaking to organizations in the United States and abroad advocating human rights, children's rights, and the implementation of governmental policies that will improve the lives of young people and their families.

Contact Tim Black: tblack at hartford.edu

Friday, February 25
Hope Out Loud Coffeehouse

7:00pm to 9:30 PM.

Art Space Gallery - 555 Asylum Avenue, Hartford

(free parking in rear - be sure to get a parking pass when you arrive)

The February HOL Coffeehouse will be a special benefit to support the March 19th March and Rally to End the War in Iraq.  Support the March and Rally while enjoying good music, good company and a commitment to End the War in Iraq.

Children bring your parents.

Saturday, February 26
AFSC Material Assistance Tag Sale

To benefit Men of Color Initiative and Tsunami Relief

Saturday, February 26th from 9:30 AM until 2:00 PM at the Hartford Friends Meeting House,

144 S. Quaker Lane, West Hartford, CT.

Please plan to stop by and visit if you can!  There will be bargain prices on donated items such as clothing, jewelry, games, artwork, household items and other miscellaneous TREASURES!

If you would like a SNEAK PREVIEW or to donate items for the sale, you may stop by the Meeting House on Friday evening from 5:00 PM until 8:00 PM.   We will be setting up and pricing items at that time.  If you would like to volunteer to help set up, price and cleanup, please contact Marcia Morris 617.876.5312; mmorris at afsc.org

Saturday, February 26
No Sweat CT Student Summit

12:30 - 5pm Marcus White Living Room,

Central CT State University

The CT legislature is currently considering a bill to ensure that all uniforms (and possibly other items) purchased by the state would be produced in factories and washed in laundries where workers earn a living wage and their rights are respected.  Please come join students throughout the state at this important gathering of students from throughout CT.  This will not be a typical lecture-centered workshop, but rather an opportunity for students to interact and discuss the ways in which students can play a key role in fighting for the most progressive anti-sweatshop law in the nation.

 There will be refreshments.  Please invite any and all CT students you know who might be interested.

Contact: Kath Golub (860) 349-6925

Saturday, February 26
Counter Recruitment Training Workshop

Pope Park Recreation Center

1:00 - 4:00pm

We have a stellar group of folks currently advising High School students about alternatives to military recruitment.  They have been active and successful at area high schools and are providing a training workshop for others interested in joining this effort.  People in communities around the country are engaged in Counter Recruitment efforts.  Please spread the word about this training, and contact us if you're interested in attending. Contact: Marela Zacarias (860) 538-3921; marela_lamp at yahoo.com or

Ana Lachelier (860) 232-0248;  alachelier at aol.com

Tuesday, March 1
GI RIGHTS Counseling/Advocacy

9:30 am to 4:00 pm (gathering at 9:00)

Charter Oak Cultural Center, 21 Charter Oak Ave, Hartford, CT

Cost: $25 (including lunch) or $15 (without lunch)

This fee covers the cost of handouts, but supplemental materials (including the comprehensive manual referenced below) will be available for purchase at additional cost. REGISTRATION REQUIRED Space limited to 25 participants, so please register early.

NOTE: If you are interested in this workshop, but the date does not work for you,

please let us know because we hope to organize additional sessions in the coming months.

 Trainers:  Robert Dove and Sam Diener regional staff for American Friends Service Committee

To REGISTER or request further information: aperry7247 at aol.com or 203/865-6575

Wednesday, March 2
Mayors for Peace Statewide Organizing Meeting

6:30pm

Church of the Holy Trinity, 381 Main Street, Middletown, CT

Join and report back on the progress of the Connecticut effort to abolish nuclear weapons through grassroots organizing in our own communities.  Contact AFSC to get involved: 860.523.1534

Saturday, March 5
Professor Jeff Halper

Coordinating Director of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions

7:00 p.m.

Charter Oak Cultural Center

21 Charter Oak Ave, Hartford CT 06106

Co-Sponsored by: Palestine Right To Return Coalition (www.al-awda.org) American Friends Service Committee (www.afsc.org) Council for National Interest  (www.cnionline.org) Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions  (www.ICAHD.org) If Americans Knew(www.ifamericansknew.org) Connecticut United for Peace (CTUP) Middle East Crisis Committee

Driving directions: www.charteroakcenter.org/contactus.htm

Sunday, March 6
Professor Jeff Halper

"In Search of Peace and Justice in Palestine/Israel"

9:00am

First Congregational Church, Old Lyme, CT

Wednesday, March 9
Chris Doucot, "When Never Again Happens Again: Genocide in Sudan,"

7:00pm Harry Jack Gray Center, Room D, University of Hartford.

Chris is a founding member of the Hartford Catholic Worker, and will present a power-point slide presentation on his recent trip to Sudan. He will be returning to the refugee camps in the Darfur area in April.

Contact Tim Black: tblack at hartford.edu

Saturday, March 12
Women Working in Maquilas
2:00pm Webster Hall, West Hartford Public Library
20 South Main Street, West Hartford

Nicaraguans Jaquelene Sevilla Gaitan and Maria Dolores Roblero will speak from their own experience about the dismal working conditions at sweatshops in "free trade" zones, and the threats workers face when they stand up for their rights. Together they will share stories of hope and resistance.  Katherine Stecher, representing the Nicaragua Network, a national Nicaragua solidarity organization, and Campaign for Labor Rights, a grass-roots anti-sweatshop group, will speak on supporting workers' struggles around the world. SweatFree Communities organizer Liana Foxvog will present on how to get involved in the current campaign for a State of Connecticut "sweatshop-free" purchasing policy, and how it is part of an international movement strategy. Katherine will translate. Contact Liana Foxvog: liana at sweatfree.org

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16
Connecticut's Next Voting Machines

7 - 9 P.M.

WEST HARTFORD TOWN HALL

Panel discussion, contact Rich Sivel: 860.231.7428

TUESDAY, APRIL 12, 2005
Nuclear Proliferation with Jonathan Schell

7 - 9 P.M.

WEST HARTFORD TOWN HALL

Will be mobilizing for May 1st rally in NYC in preparation of the signing of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.  Looking for sponsors and cosponsors now.

Contact Joe Wasserman: 860.561.1897 or Mims Butterworth: 860.521.9506

Save The Date: WEDNESDAY, APRIL 20

Amy Goodman

Time TBA
Conard High School Auditorium, 110 Beechwood Road West Hartford

Talk and book signing, cosponsors needed. Contact Kathy Hucks: 860.561.8401

Kasha Ho'okili Ho

American Friends Service Committee

Hartford, Connecticut

phone: 860.523.1534