{news} Count Every Vote Act of 2005

Aaron Gustafson aaron at easy-designs.net
Sun Feb 27 21:41:33 EST 2005

Just wanted to give you all a heads up on the Count Every Vote Act of 2005,
proposed by Sens. Barbra Boxer & Hillary Clinton & Rep. Stephanie Tubbs
Jones. You can read the full press release here:
http://www.boxer.senate.gov/news/record.cfm?id=232372, but here are a few
high points of the bill:
* Voter-verified paper trail
* Ballot will be official ballot for recount
* Computer source code open to the public
* Election Day = Federal Holiday
* early voting in each state
* restricts the ability of chief state election officials as well as owners
and senior managers of voting machine manufacturers to engage in certain
kinds of political activity
* makes it a federal crime to commit deceptive practices, punishable by up
to a year of imprisonment

Looks great even though it will likely be gutted in committee. We need to
gang up on our congresspersons in support of this bill. We could stir up
some really bad PR around anyone who is against the bill. After all, it's
un-American to not want every vote counted, right?

Cheers,

Aaron Gustafson
Webmaster
CT Green Party