{news} Fw: Update on the death penalty, 1/26

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at igc.org
Wed Jan 26 22:00:36 EST 2005

Update on the death penalty, 1/26----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 7:15 PM
Subject: Update on the death penalty, 1/26

  (Washington-AP, Jan. 26, 2005 6:00 PM ) _ There's word at this hour that Federal Judge Robert Chatigny in Hartford has issued a temporary restraining order stopping the execution for at least 10 days.

Please circulate this information as widely as possible.

Check the website www.DontKillInMyNameCT.org for updates.

Please write the Governor and ask her to reconsider her threat to veto an abolition bill. Please contact your legislators and urge them to support an abolition bill. Please continue to gather signatures on the CNADP petition against the death penalty. At the last count, the Catholic Church gathered over 20,000 signatures on the weekends of 1/8 and 1/15! An incredible number, be we need every signature we can get.

Also, on Monday, January 31, the Judiciary Committee will be holding a hearing on the death penalty. CNADP would like to get as many abolition supporters as possible to attend: we want the hearing room filled to overflowing for the entire five hours. Here are the details on the hearing:

The Judiciary Committee will hold a public hearing on Monday, January 31, 2005 from 2: 00 P. M. to 7: 00 P. M. in Room 2E of the LOB. Speaker order will be decided by a lottery system. Numbers may be drawn beginning at 9: 00 A. M. in Room 2500 of the LOB and will be available until 1: 30 P. M. The list of speakers will posted in Room 2E of the LOB at 1: 45 P. M. Please submit 65 copies of written testimony to Committee staff two hours prior to the start of the hearing in the Judiciary Committee, Room 2500 of the LOB. Speakers will be limited to three minutes of testimony.