{news} Notes from Strategy meeting

Tom Sevigny capeconn at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 10:29:58 EST 2005

Notes from last Saturday's strategy meeting are below.  Overall, the meeting was very positive and, IMO, the discussions we had were an excellent foundation for future meetings.

NOTES

1.  PROS/CONS of 2004 elections

    PROS
        a. increased access to media and debates
        b. gain in votes from "non-classic" constituencies

    CONS
        a.  Loss votes in traditional constituencies
        b.  Negative Green image or non-image

2.  PROJECT FOR A GREEN CT - two year plan

    A.  Formation of election committee
        a. Develop platform
        b.  Find candidates
        c.  Increase media coverage both traditional and non-traditional

    B.  Fundraising committee
        a.  Develop efficient fundraising committee

    C.  Develop media/PR committee

    D.  Develop timeline & tactics

    E.  Run candidates at local level

3.  INTERNAL STRUCTURE (action Plan)

    a.  Financial - Fundraising/Budget
    b.  Outreach - Media/PR/Diversity
    c.  Electoral
    d.  Policy - Platform
    e.  Internal - bylaws

4.  SLATE OF CANDIDATES - Complete or targeted?

5.  GENERAL IDEAS

    a.  Greens not just "protest party"
    b.  Develop candidates through apprenticeships
    c.  Look for candidates with party discipline and loyalty
    d.  Simplify 10 key values/platform
    e.  Emphasize what we are for, not just what we're against
    f.  Create GP identity

6.  NEXT STEPS

    a.  Have another strategy meeting
    b.  at that meeting create committees/internal structure that will actually move strategy forward.

DETAILS OF THE TIME/PLACE OF NEXT MEETING WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON.  WE NEED AS MANY PEOPLE TO ATTEND THE NEXT STRATEGY MEETING, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY WE NEED PEOPLE TO VOLUNTEER FOR COMMITTEES AND GET INVOLVED.

In Solidarity,

Tom