{news} Press Release

Ehscouts at aol.com Ehscouts at aol.com
Tue Mar 1 19:48:02 EST 2005

Miguel Angel Nieves calls New Britain's Heroin Problem an "Unrecognized
Epidemic"

Miguel Angel Nieves, a Green Party candidate for New Britain Mayor released
the following statement:

   As future Mayor of New Britain, this issue should be an major issue in
this election. I believe our Heroin use and overdose problem is a big
concern, as we have already had three deaths in our city. Two men had been
found dead and a third in a parking lot on Saturday, with ages between the
ages of 30 and 50.

  Heroin use and its overdoses are unrecognized epidemic in New Britain.

    As a candidate for The New Britain Green Party, we invite the general
community to follow the following steps that can be taken to prevent heroin
use and the overdose deaths:

    Listen to the local community about the problems of drug problems with
community forums, which has been unrecognized by local leaders

    Work to receive more state and federal money to prevent serious drug use
in our city

    Address treatment and relapse concerns in New Britain with more
programs, if needed

    Training drug users in self help programs, including CPR and rescue
breathing

     One of the most effective strategies to prevent deaths is to train our
City Police in the use of naloxone (Narcan) to help drug users in a case of
an overdose.Because police officers are often first on the scene of an
overdose, local police in the area would need to be trained in administering
naloxone to an overdose victim, much as they would treat a heart-attack
victim with an electronic defibrillator machine. (Naloxone is a short-acting
opiate antagonist that, when injected shortly after an overdose, blocks
heroin's action on the brain and restores breathing.)

Regards,
Miguel Angel Nieves