{news} A little help needed in Connecticut on Bolton.

John Battista riverbend2 at earthlink.net
Wed May 25 14:59:09 EDT 2005

      Connecticut activists can really turn the tide for the final vote on Bolton!

      We are coming down to the wire on preventing John Bolton, a long time opponent of the UN, from becoming the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.  I wanted to personally ask for your help -- one last time -- in this incredibly close contest.

      As you probably know Bolton's confirmation was sent to the Senate Floor by the Foreign Relations Committee without their recommendation.  We are expecting a vote any time now.  I've listed below where we believe your senators stand on the Bolton confirmation, who their foreign relations staffers are, and a phone number to contact them. You can make a huge difference by calling the staffers and giving them the simple messages below.  This is much more powerful than leaving a message at the front desk.  (You might want to confirm with the receptionist that the staffer still handles foreign policy as Senate staff often turns over quicker than we can keep up with.)

      Senator Dodd opposes the Bolton nomination and has worked hard on the Foreign Relations Committee to show why Mr. Bolton is the wrong man to send to the United Nations.  Please call 202-224-2823 and ask for Senator Dodd's foreign policy staffer, Janice O'Connell.  Let Janice know that you appreciate Senator Dodd's opposition and urge him to talk with colleagues about the vote.

      Senator Lieberman has not made public his position on the Bolton nomination.  Please call 202-224-4041 and ask for Senator Lieberman's foreign policy staffer, Fred Downey.  Let Fred know that you urge the Senator to oppose Bolton and ask if there is any particular information that would help Senator Lieberman to do so.

      Leaving a voice mail is ok.  If you learn any new information, please let me know by replying to this email.

      In addition (this is real important) if you know of any way (or anyone) who can communicate directly with any of the senators who support Bolton or are undecided, please let me know.  We want to leave no stone unturned at this late date.

      This battle will be won or lost by only a few votes, so your efforts really can make a difference.  Thank you so much.

      In Peace,

      Don Kraus

      PS  Please feel free to forward this friends and family.  If they live in another state, I'll be glad to let them know their senators' positions if they are willing to make calls.

      Mr. Don Kraus
      Executive Vice President
      Citizens for Global Solutions
      418 Seventh Street, S.E.