{news} Skill Share Gathering in Hartford this weekend sponsored by Outgrowing Capitalism

TollandCountyChapter Green Party of Connecticut greenpartyct at earthlink.net
Fri May 27 17:46:48 EDT 2005

www.OutgrowingCapitalism.org

For immediate release May 24, 2005

For more information, please contact David Rozza at 860-978-3562

Hartford-On Friday, May 27th, the Outgrowing Capitalism: A Gathering
of Existing Structures; Northeast Mutual Aid, Food Not Bombs,
Independent Media Centers, and more SkillShare Gathering will take
place at ArtSpace Hartford (555 Asylum Street). Activists from around
the country will gather for over a dozen "Do it yourself" workshops
such as Counter Recruitment in response to aggressive armed forces'
recruitment tactics of students, Starting A Newspaper, and Street
Theater.  "We are expecting a huge turnout and we're very excited
that Hartford's strong activist community can come together to create
this event," says Dave Rozza, a participant in the gathering, "People
are tired of corporate domination in our culture, and we hope that
this skillshare will serve as a catalyst for change. Another world is
possible, right now!"

The weekend will kick off on Friday with a Critical Mass bike ride
departing from Bushnell Park and will lead into an open mic session
at ArtSpace.  Saturday will be a day of workshops followed by a
radical walking tour of Hartford and a "Punk Rock Prom" with bands
such as Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains and Tom Frampton

The Outgrowing Capitalism schedule in Hartford is as follows:

Friday, May 27th

4:30 Meet up at ArtSpace/Bushnell Park by the carousel.  Critical
Mass bike ride.

9:00 Open mic/Open Art Show

Saturday, May 28th

10:45 to 5:30 Workshops

(Meet at 10 a.m.  for  Urban Gardening/Composting  to plan some
gardening projects)

10:45 - 11:45 AM
*Urban Gardening and Composting
* Social Manipulation-Every Day Stereotypes
* Radical Menstruation
* Mutual Aid
* Beer and Wine Making

12:00 - 1:00 PM
* Radical Cheerleading
* Avoid Getting Locked Out: You Don't Have to Call a Locksmith
* Parenting on the Fringe: Free School and Alternatives to
Conventional Education and more
* Start an FNB, Critical Mass, etc. in your Community: How to
Dumpster Dive like a Pro
* How to get the press to print what you want them to. (Ralph)

1:00 - 2:00 PM Lunch

3:00 PM Food Not Bombs in Bushnell park by the carousel

2:15 - 3:45 PM
* Self Defense
* DIY Fashion, Jewelry Making, and Hairdressing
* Propaganda
* Eco-Feminist View of Belly Dance
* Street Theater workshop with the Hartbeat Ensemble
http://www.hartbeatensemble.org/

4:00 - 5:30 PM
* Counter Recruitment with Latinos Contra La Guerra
* Silk-screening
* Cob Workshop for Kids
* Start Your Own Newspaper

5:30 to 8:00  Radical walking tour of Hartford

8:00 Punk Rock Prom Bands include: Johnny Hobo and the Freight
Trains, Jack Off Jerk Off,  Frigface, Kenesaw, Mantits, f-thndr, Tom
Frampton, Ryan Harvey, and more

Sunday, May 30th

10:30 Radical walking tour of Hartford

12:00  Organizing Resistance Discussion
A roundtable, consensus based discussion to discuss our strengths and
weaknesses as a force of tangible resistance against the oppressive
system of capitalism (war, coercion, etc.)

3:00 Food Not Bombs serving in Bushnell park by the carousel/street
theater presentation

-30-

--
Karin L. Norton-O'Connor