{news} Tom's campaign in Canton

Judith Herkimer jherkimer at snet.net
Wed Nov 9 18:25:18 EST 2005

Dear Greens,
Tom Sevigny got a whopping 711 votes, which is double the amount of votes he received in Canton when he ran for State Senate.  He would have needed another 400 votes to get elected and was only 230 votes away from the next candidate. Kim and I had a great time walking through Collinsville distributing his campaign literature and talking to the voters. Tom's signs and banners were *plastered* throughout town. These are not loosing campaigns...we are doubling our votes and percentages! Some of Tom's endorsements are below.

Big thanks to EVERYONE who ran, to their families and to all the campaign supporters.

Judy Herkimer

Tom Sevigny is a very intelligent, caring and knowledgeable candidate who I am very proud to support. I only wish that all candidates had the integrity and background that Tom has. Candidate Sevigny and his beautiful family are, frankly, Canton treasures.
Judi Friedman

Tom would bring a fresh perspective and new insight to Canton's Board of Finance. He has studied how Connecticut's financing of education contributes to sprawl, but more importantly, he has learned how towns can mitigate its impact. Preserving open space is critical to our ability to control residential development and the resultant school enrollment increases. This will, in turn, enable us to continue to provide Canton's students with an excellent education.
Peg Berry, Friends of Canton Education

It is apparent that Mr. Sevigny has a depth of understanding of the issues facing Canton in the funding of our public schools. The Hartford Courant's endorsement of his candidacy for the 8th Senatorial District seat last October, over the incumbent, is evidence of that. Mr. Sevigny will bring a balanced perspective to the Board of the relationships between and among the need for increased State funding of education, too much reliance on property taxes, and the need to give a high priority to community open space needs. He also is a team player who will serve the best interests of the citizens of the Town of Canton. It is my pleasure to support his candidacy as a member of the Board of Finance.
Del P. Higham, Ph.D. (R), Member, Canton Economic Development Agency

Tom will bring fresh ideas to solving long standing problems. He will stimulate a broader discussion about what the issues really are and how to effectively approach them. I know that a Board benefits enormously from a member who questions the traditional and encourages innovation.
Ruth Small (D), Former Member, Board of Finance and Board of Selectmen

Tom Sevigny's personal history and his involvement in the enhancement of our town will add positive diversity to Canton's Board of Finance. He will bring a wonderful viewpoint to our town's fast growing economy. Mr. Sevigny has a passion to keep Canton beautiful and yet allow it to grow in a healthy and successful way.
Trish Z. Blair, Business Owner, Country Sports

Tom Sevigny is someone who cares deeply about Canton, has ideas on how we can more fairly and successfully fund education, and would take a leadership position in encouraging the Board of Finance to work more proactively for a solution to fiscal pressures, rather than accepting without a fight the limitations of the status quo. We support the election of Tom Sevigny to the Canton Board of Finance.
Richard and Gretchen Swibold