{news} Fw: Stand Against Hate This Sunday [recent hate crime against two lesbians]

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 19 23:13:32 EST 2005

6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
----- Original Message -----
From: AFSC Connecticut
To:  [Ed DuBrule]
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2005 3:19 PM
Subject: Stand Against Hate This Sunday

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  Stand Against Hate

                                 .    Rally Sunday - Against Hate Crimes
                                  .    AFSC Community Calendar - Now Online

                                 .    Call to Action

                                 .    Hartford's Fourth Annual Day of Remembrance

                                Rally Sunday - Against Hate Crimes

                                We are outraged at the recent hate crime against two lesbians in the south end of Hartford. We have been working with the Hartford Police Department and city and state officials this week to ensure that all hate crimes are dealt with immediately and appropriately. Please join us on Sunday to stand as a community united for justice and against violence.

                                STOP THE HATE: EDUCATE, LEGISLATE AND REMEMBER

                                Call to Action
                                Join us Sunday,
                                November 20, 4:30 PM
                                at Barry Square, Hartford
                                Intersection of Campfield ave. and Maple ave.

                                PROGRAM

                                4:30 PM Barry Square Park/Speakers
                                5:30 PM Procession to LGBT Community Center
                                6:00 PM Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance

                                SPEAKERS

                                Jerimarie Liesegang, Hartford Commissioner on LGBT Issues, Director CT TransAdvocacy Coalition
                                Rev. Cornell Lewis, Community Activist, Founder of Men of Color Inititative
                                Magdelena, Latinos Contra La Guerra
                                Cheryl Linear, Community Activist, Linear Consulting Services
                                Robert O. Trestan, Anti-Defamation League Civil Rights Counsel
                                Mayor Eddie Perez, City of Hartford
                                Jose Lopez, Deputy Police Chief, Hartford Police Dept.
                                R. Jo Winch, Assistant Majority Leader Hartford City Council

                                sponsored by the Task Force for Race, Class and Social Justice

                                www.faithct.org 860.841.5006
                                http://www.faithct.org

                                Call to Action

                                We are outraged by the recent hate crime against two lesbians in the Southend of Hartford.

                                We recognize that physical violence is the ultimate expression of prejudice and hatred towards lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.

                                We deplore the rhetoric that dehumanizes and promotes discrimination against LGBT people and ultimately leads to physical violence. When we fail to stop the rhetoric we condone this behavior.

                                We recognize that this rhetoric is often directed toward other marginalized communities on the basis of their race, ethnicity, religion, immigration status or physical/mental ability.

                                For every hate crime that is reported countless others go unreported or unrecognized because victims often fear recrimination from the very systems which purport to protect and execute justice.

                                Any time a marginalized community rises up or demands equality and human rights a backlash of denigrating rhetoric and physical violence occurs. Witness this most recent hate crime and the lack of intentional response and sensitivity by the Hartford police department.

                                Seventeen years ago Connecticut responded to a brutal and tragic hate crime resulting in the murder of a gay man, Richard Reihl, by passing Connecticut's hate crime law. Since then we have amended and expanded the scope of this law. However, this recent hate crime shows how little progress our society has made in overcoming prejudice in its most brutal manifestation.

                                We demand comprehensive police training and appropriate application of the existing hate crime laws to ensure a sensitive and effective response to hate crimes.

                                We demand an immediate cessation of the religious and political rhetoric that dehumanizes LGBT people and fosters an environment of prejudice and discrimination in which hate crimes thrive.

                                We stand in solidarity with members of the Southend community who may experience or witness violence in an ongoing basis. We oppose all forms of violence in our communities. As we have stood up when young people have been murdered or against police brutality, we are standing today against a hate crime against two lesbians.

                                We call on all communities to acknowledge that prejudice hatred and violence permeates our society, our neighborhoods and our families. Only by working together on each of these levels can we hope to build a just and nonviolent society.

                                Sunday, November 20, 2005
                                6:00 PM
                                Metropolitan Community Church
                                1841 Broad Street, Hartford.

                                The Trans community and allies will be remembering
                                the 27 individuals who were brutally murdered due to
                                anti-transgender violence over the past twelve months.

                                The event is held in November to honor Rita Hester,
                                whose murder on November 28th, 1998, was a primary impetus
                                behind the "Remembering Our Dead" web project and a
                                San Francisco candlelight vigil in 1999.

                                Rita Hester's murder -- like most anti-transgender murder cases --
                                has yet to be solved.

                                Such Transphobic hate crimes are not just against transgender people,
                                but anyone who transgresses the so-called acceptable masculine/feminine
                                norms of our society.

                                Hartford's vigil also provides a time for us as individuals
                                and as a community to open our hearts, to open our minds
                                and to confront prejudices by reaffirming our being an ally
                                and advocate on behalf of the Trans and Gender non-conforming communities.

                                Info:
                                http://www.TransAdvocacy.com
                                http://www.mcchartford.com/dr2005.jpg
                                http://www.rememberingourdead.org/day/index.html

                                Sponsored by the
                                Connecticut TransAdvocacy Coalition
                                Metropolitan Community Church of Hartford
                                People of Faith for Gay GLBTI Civil Rights

                                http://www.TransAdvocacy.com

                                AFSC Community Calendar - Now Online

                                View the NEW AFSC Community Calendar Online Now

                                Keep up to date on upcoming peace and social justice events in the Connecticut area

                                Add upcoming events yourself

                                View the Calendar Now

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward