{news} Fw: USGP-INT Urgent News -- Colombia

Justine McCabe justinemccabe at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 08:45:49 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Carl Romanelli
To: Green Party International ; Scott McLarty
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 7:25 AM
Subject: USGP-INT Urgent News -- Colombia

Dear IC,
    We have just learned that President Uribe is planning a military strike under the guise of freeing the hostages.  As most may know, such a move will lead to the execution of the hostages.  Below you will find the press statement of Ingrid's mother, released Saturday.  I'll get back with more after dealing with what I hope is a busy media day.

Peace,
Carl Romanelli
Pennsylvania

      Press Statement
      November 19th, 2005

        We have learned through a reliable source that President Uribe has re-issued orders to his army to start a military operation to rescue hostages held by FARC.
        Fully aware that FARC leaders have ordered their men to execute hostages in such a rescue operation, the Colombian Government, by proceeding in this way, is imposing a death sentence on the hostages.
        Viable alternatives exist that would allow the hostages to be re-united safely with their families; the implementation of a humanitarian agreement such as recommended by International Humanitarian Law.
        As members of Ingrid's family, we are totally opposed to an intervention by military means, as we have always been, and we demand once again that President Uribe cancel this order, not only for Ingrid's sake but also for the sake of all the other hostages involved.
        Just as Ingrid stated in her video message of May 2003, we want to remind the Colombian Government and the International Community that it is President Uribe who would be personally held responsible before International Justice for all the consequences of such an order.

        Yolanda Pulecio, mother of Ingrid, on behalf of all the family,