{news} Burton asks Blumenthal to study goats at Millstone

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 17:00:21 EST 2005

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=fcc12736-94cc-46b0-b51e-8d120ec463f7

Featured in Health

DEP Probing Radioactivity In Goat's Milk
Anti-nuke coalition leader sought study of Waterford data

By PATRICIA DADDONA
Day Staff Writer, Waterford
Published on 11/23/2005

Waterford — State and local officials are scrutinizing renewed claims that
radioactivity in goats' milk at a former farm in town indicates a potential
health threat, but said they want to see evidence before taking any action.

On Nov. 15, Nancy Burton, the leader of the Connecticut Coalition Against
Millstone, took a goat to the state Capitol and renewed her past calls for
evaluation of levels of the radioactive isotope Strontium 90 in goats' milk.

The farm, at 120 Dayton Road, has been sold to a developer, who plans to
build houses there.

Strontium 90, a byproduct of nuclear fission, can cause cancer in high
concentrations. What constitutes a high concentration is a matter of
disagreement among nuclear experts and scientists.

Gov. M. Jodi Rell and Attorney General Richard Blumenthal have asked the
state Department of Environmental Protection to conduct a “comprehensive
technical review” of test data collected in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

“I am always concerned by reports of pollution that may threaten public
safety and the environment,” said Blumenthal in a prepared statement
Tuesday. “We will await the results of DEP's analysis before deciding if
action by my office is warranted.”

Dominion Nuclear Connecticut, the owner of Millstone Power Station, monitors
levels that might “bio-accumulate” in goats, as well as in the water and
air, said spokesman Pete Hyde.

Burton said in March that data collected by Dominion shows the level of
Strontium 90 in the goat milk as 55.5 picoCuries per liter, more than double
the amount found because of nuclear weapons testing in the atmosphere in the
1960s. Ernest Sternglass, a consultant for the coalition, said last week
that its presence in milk at eight other locations across the country is
minute by comparison.

“For us to have been responsible for that amount of Strontium 90 in goats'
milk, we would have to released an enormous amount of Strontium 90, so it is
not from us,” said Hyde.

Neil Sheehan, a spokesman for the NRC, said Tuesday that radioactive
releases from Millstone are monitored and documented and do not constitute a
threat to the community.

Burton has circulated a petition stating that even if Millstone is not
responsible, the amounts in the goat milk warrant investigation and action.

Millstone Power Station is home to three reactors, two of which are
operational. Licenses for those two are expected to be renewed through 2035
and 2045 when the NRC releases its decision on Dominion's re-licensing
application Monday.

The DEP's radiological experts have already begun an analysis of the test
data, said Communications Director Dennis Schain.

In a letter Tuesday to Burton, Blumenthal said, “Should DEP request my
assistance in initiating any type of enforcement action, I will be prepared
to assist vigorously and promptly.”

Waterford Planning Director Thomas V. Wagner said Tuesday that the farm has
been approved by the Inland Wetlands Commission for 14 homes that developer
Francis “Skip” Adams of Ailanthus Farm Estates LLC has dubbed “Cohanzie
Village.”

Wagner said he stands by the approval of the land use permit, and has seen
no new evidence of contamination that would warrant a denial or “changing
the way we do business.” He would not rule out addressing the issue in the
future but said he is skeptical that the presence of Strontium 90 is
exclusive to the farm.

“There's no evidence the land is unfit for habitation,” Wagner said. “We
followed the Inland Wetlands Act in approving the property for development
and basically believe the measures incorporated into the development are
intended to prevent any migration of soil into the wetlands. If there's
concerns about the soil, we've done our job from a development standpoint.”

“Why is this particular piece of property unique?” he said. “There are a lot
of sources for Strontium 90. Just go on the Internet and you'll be surprised
at what you see: luminous signs, nuclear batteries.”

Adams could not be reached for comment.

© The Day Publishing Co., 2005