{news} Andy Derr endorsed by police union but refuses PAC $$

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 23:02:59 EDT 2005

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=5886EC80-0FC8-4948-AA1A-56E812B076C0

New London Day

Longtime New London Police Detective Spurned By Police Political Action
Committee
Gaynor not endorsed in bid for re-election

By TED MANN
Day Staff Writer, Politics/Government
Published on 10/6/2005

New London — When the call came, City Councilor Gerard Gaynor Jr. couldn't
believe it.

The New London Police Union's political action committee, which voted
Tuesday night on its endorsements for the upcoming council election,
declined to endorse Gaynor, a retired detective who spent 36 years at the
department.

The union endorsed every member of the current council except for Gaynor and
Councilor Beth Sabilia, instead throwing its weight behind Democratic
candidate Kevin Cavanagh and Green Party member Andy Derr.

For Gaynor, the union decision was a particularly bitter blow, and a sign
that resentment lingers after his opposition to an ultimately successful
expansion of the union's bargaining unit to include the department's three
captains.

“First and foremost, it was a very difficult decision for the union
political action committee to make,” Lt. Chip Segar, the union president,
said in a telephone interview on Wednesday. “On a personal level, it's
heartbreaking to me.”

But, Segar said, Gaynor made two “fatal errors” in recent months — opposing
the captains' move to join the union and offering to sacrifice one of the
unfilled police positions in the budget in order to preserve the city's
social-services department.

“Even if, in the grand scheme of things, that might have been the right
thing to do, that did not sit well with us,” Segar said of the latter
suggestion.

Gaynor said Wednesday that he was flabbergasted when first informed of the
union's decision, but added he was confident that he still had support among
the rank-and-file in the department.

“My initial reaction to that was disbelief,” Gaynor said.

And he continued to defend his decision to oppose adding captains to the
union.

“In a police organization, you have to have a separation between the troops
and the administration, and as far as I'm concerned they're administrators,”
Gaynor said. He later added, “I don't think you can be loyal to two gods, so
to speak.”

The union declined to endorse Sabilia because she did not return a
questionnaire sent to all council candidates, Segar said, and the councilor
said she had a good reason not to: She is not seeking any endorsements.

“I'm not seeking endorsements, I'm not doing fund-raising, simply because
I'm running a fairly low-key campaign in light of my personal situation,”
said Sabilia, who is due to give birth next week to her second child. “And I
figured people, after four years on the council, would know my record.”

The incumbents endorsed by the union were: Mayor Jane Glover, Deputy Mayor
Bill Morse, Councilor Margaret “Peg” Curtin, Councilor Rob Pero and
Councilor Jason Catala. Catala and Pero are Republicans; the rest are
Democrats.

Segar said the union's interviewing committee was grateful to Morse, Pero
and Catala for voting to allow the captains to join the union, and was
impressed by Morse, Glover and Derr, who all advocated a switch to a “strong
mayor” form of government.

New London needs “a central figure in the city who would be accountable and
responsible to the voters,” he said.

Segar said the committee believed Cavanagh, a member of the Board of
Education, would bring “great new ideas” to the council, and said the
endorsement of Derr would help “bring balance back to the City Council
that's desperately needed.”

It was a pleasant surprise and a cause for optimism for the third-party
candidate.

“I think it's just another indication that people are really taking the
Green Party seriously, and we're part of the political scene in the city,”
Derr said.

He also noted that both Derr and Morse had declined financial contributions
from the union PAC. In lieu of financial assistance, the committee will
donate a total of $100 to the New London Meal Center in their names.

© The Day Publishing Co., 2005