{news} Fw: AFSC info-(1)2000th US soldiers vigils; (2)Congressional district actions

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 14:40:55 EDT 2005

6-Story Newsletter Template + Images
----- Original Message -----
From: AFSC Connecticut
To: edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:04 AM
Subject: Vigil Not One More Death - 2000th US Soldier Death

                                     American Friends Service Committee Connecticut

                                In This Issue:  Not One More Death - Not One More Dollar

                                 .    Not One More Death - Not One More Dollar
                                  .    Willimantic Vigil

                                 .    New Haven Vigil
                                  .    Nov. 1st - Interfaith Witness in Local Congressional Offices

                                 .    West Hartford Vigil

                                Not One More Death - Not One More Dollar

                                The news media is now reporting the 2000th military death in the Iraq war.

                                Tomorrow, October 26th AFSC, in conjunction with Gold Star Families for Peace, Iraq Veterans Against the War, Military Families Speak Out, and with the support of the United for Peace and Justice Coalition, is calling for "Not One More Death, Not One More Dollar" More than 400 events in 49 US states are scheduled on the AFSC website. Thousands of people will come together calling for an end to this war. As we remember the soldiers and their families, we also remember the thousands of wounded soldiers, and the more than one hundred thousand Iraqis who have died.

                                Once we were among few voices challenging the war. Now the majority of the US public opposes the war. The Win Without War Coalition and its member organizations the National Council of Churches, True Majority, Working Assets and MoveOn.org are also holding vigils tomorrow.

                                Vigils in West Hartford, New Haven and Willimantic are currently planned for 6:30pm Wednesday, Oct. 26th. The information for each event is listed below.

                                You can still plan additional vigils in your own community - visit http://www.afsc.org/2000/ for help with the organizing and publicity.

                                Finally, the AFSC Connecticut office is working with Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice and the Fellowship of Reconciliation to vigil at local congressional offices on November 1st, next Tuesday, to remember those who have died this year in the war in Iraq and to call for our congresspeople to take a stand to end the war and all its abuses. Please find more information below.
                                http://www.afsc.org/2000/

                                New Haven Vigil

                                Location: New Haven Green
                                Time: 6:30 PM
                                Organizer's Name: John Shanley

                                More Details:

                                Gather on the Green at 6:30. We will stand vigil at the central flagpole as the sun sets and bear witness to another unfortunate milestone in the war in Iraq.

                                https://www.afsc.org/2000/

                                West Hartford Vigil

                                Wednesday, October 26th at 6:30 PM in West Hartford Center.

                                Will we fill each corner of that big intersection with candlelight and commitment to bring them home?

                                Here are the details of my event:
                                not one more death-not one more dollar no more killing no more war bring the troops home candlelight vigil

                                Farmington Avenue and North Main Street
                                West Hartford Center, CT 06107
                                BRING YOUR OWN CANDLES PLEASE.

                                http://www.westhartfordpeace.org/index.html

                                Willimantic Vigil

                                Willimantic, CT

                                Location: Across from the Frog Bridge
                                Time: 6:30 PM
                                Organizer's Name: Max Wentworth
                                http://www.afsc.org/2000/

                                Nov. 1st - Interfaith Witness in Local Congressional Offices

                                Witness to the Human Cost of the Iraq War

                                Lift a Prophetic Voice
                                in Congressional Offices

                                November 1, 2005

                                An Interfaith Public Witness

                                November 1 is All Saints' Day in the Christian tradition, devoted to prayers for the dead. On this day we will make the toll of an immoral war more visible, by organizing clergy and people of faith to gather at Congressional offices and read the names of the nearly 2,000 American soldiers who have lost their lives in Iraq, along with the names of an equal number of Iraqi civilians who have died.

                                November 1 is also the first Tuesday of November, marking one year after the re-election of President Bush and one year before the 2006 mid-term elections. More than 770 US soldiers have died since Election Day 2004.

                                How many more of our sons and daughters will die before our Congressional representatives are called to account on Election Day 2006?

                                Honor the Dead, Keep Faith with the Living

                                October 17-31: Jewish and Muslim holy days are observed during this period, and from each of our faith traditions we raise our voices for peace. For the two weeks leading up to November 1 we will demand that our Congressional representatives begin leading our nation back toward peace. We will challenge them publicly to:

                                - demand a halt to this immoral war, bringing our troops home;
                                - call for an independent investigation into the abuse of detainees, and repudiate the use of torture and extraordinary rendition;
                                - affirm that no permanent US bases should be left in Iraq; and
                                - call for a redistribution of resources away from the military and toward relief of the humanitarian crisis brought on by Hurricane Katrina.
                                Act on your faith.

                                For information about plans in your congressional district, contact: PropheticVoiceNov1 at yahoo.com

                                An action called by the Fellowship of Reconciliation (www.forusa.org)
                                and Reclaiming the Prophetic Voice (www.ReclaimingthePropheticVoice.org)

                                www.ReclaimingthePropheticVoice.org

                                American Friends Service Committee
                                Connecticut Area Office
                                56 Arbor Street, Suite 213
                                Hartford, CT 06106
                                Phone: 860.523.1534
                                Fax: 860.523.1705
                                Email: connecticut at afsc.org  Visit AFSC CT Online

       Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Confirm | Forward