{news} Danbury & Redding vigils organized by Greens

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 21:10:48 EDT 2005

http://news.newstimeslive.com/story.php?id=76081

Peace activists plan candlelight vigil to honor those who died in Iraq
By John Pirro

THE NEWS-TIMES

DANBURY — Activists will hold a candlelight vigil at the city's War Memorial
tonight to protest the war in Iraq and honor the servicemen and women who
have died fighting it.

The vigil is one in a series of nationwide demonstrations marking the
2,000th American death in the war, a threshold passed earlier this week.

"Two thousand is just a number. We don't want to see one more casualty,"
said Walter Hrozenchik of Ridgefield. "We want our boys and girls home
safe."

Earlier this weeks, similar rallies were held in more than 1,350 communities
across the country, according to MoveOn.org, which helped organize the
events. An estimated 100,000 people attended.

The Danbury vigil will start at 5:45 p.m. at the memorial, situated at South
Street and Memorial Drive, and last until 7 p.m.

"It will be a solemn, candlelight memorial," Hrozenchik said.

The vigil will be the third in the greater Danbury area in three days.
Similar demonstrations were held on the green in Redding and in front of the
Danbury Public Library Wednesday evening.

About 30 people were at the event in Redding, said Nancy Burton. "We linked
arms both to stay warm and to keep the wind from blowing out our candles,
and read the names of the 29 casualties from Connecticut," she said.

There was a long moment of silence, and then participants took turns
speaking out against the war, Burton said.

Kathy Devlin of Brookfield said 16 people attended the library vigil "on
very short notice," adding that passers-by showed their support in a variety
of ways.

"There was no negative reaction. We got a lot of thumbs-up and peace signs,"
she said.

Contact John Pirro at jpirro@ newstimes.com or at (203) 731-3342.