{news} Miguel Nieves in the New Britain Herald

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 10 22:25:17 EDT 2005

http://www.newbritainherald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15182674

09/09/2005
Mayoral candidates share their vision

By SCOTT WHIPPLE , Staff Writer

NEW BRITAIN -- All three mayoral candidates got seven minutes each to share
their vision for the city. They met with approximately 60 seniors Thursday
at the senior center. After reviewing their credentials for the position,
the candidates listed their accomplishments and outlined their plans for New
Britain.

Moderator Charlie Slate reminded the mayoral hopefuls that the event was not
a debate.

Mayor Timothy Stewart said his administration is working hard to bring back
the thriving,

bustling economy of previous years.

"Over $20 million in private investments has happened in the city in the
last year," he said. "We haven’t seen numbers like that ever in the history
of this town."

About the Dial-a-Ride program:

"We’re expanding it," Stewart said. "We’ve added an additional driver to
help people get to grocery stores or their doctor; by the end of October we
should have another full-time driver."

The mayor said he has been trying to get curbside leaf-pickup reinstated in
the city, "much to the chagrin of some of our council folks who continue not
to deal with the issue."

He added that the purchase of new equipment would allow the city to return
to a leaf-pickup program. It was suspended, he said, because of increased
overtime and personnel cost.

Stewart stressed that public safety is not only about police protection, but
also fire and medical protection, and emergency response.

"This has been covered extremely well under the auspices of our fire
department," he said. "Now when you call an ambulance, you get afire truck
and people who will help you immediately. That’s a system that works well
throughout this country. It has saved eight to ten lives here in the last
eight months."

Calling himself "the most successful mayor you’ve ever seen in the City of
New Britain," Stewart said his open-door policy is working, and issues are
being addressed.

"You’re a more informed public, because you can watch (on public access TV)
what’s going on in common council meetings," he told assembled seniors. "And
you can bring your problems directly to our website and ‘city hall
express.’"

Stewart added that various "non-performing properties" are now back on the
tax rolls. Other "successes:" The Guida-Dattco expansion, the soon-to-open
Holiday Inn with Famous Dave’s destination restaurant, Papa Dodge’s $5
million project, Price Rite Grocery store on the East Side and the Pinnacle
Heights property with 60 more acres for the city.

Stewart’s Democratic challenger Jason Jakubowski said his three major
differences with the mayor are services, safety and Social Security.
Jakubowski said New Britain has the third highest tax rate in the state.

"Other towns are receiving a lot more for the taxes than we are," he said.
He added that his administration would never touch the Dial-A-Ride service.

Jakubowski quoted (former Speaker of the House) Tip O’Neill, " ‘All politics
are local.’ I am absolutely opposed to President Bush’s idea to privatize
Social Security. It will only put more money in the hands of rich corporate
business owners and mean higher property taxes for you."

John Magnesi questioned where the money would come from to pay for the
changes Jakubowski proposed.

"We have a property tax system no other state in the union utilizes,"
Jakubowksi replied. "We need to change the system so that the state is
funding education as opposed to local governments. If we increase taxes on
millionaires, we can take the extra revenue and redistribute it to the
cities and town."

Miguel Nieves of the Green Party, said as manager of a Family Dollar store
he knows the needs of the community.

"If you want to make a change in the ghetto, you need to know what the
ghetto is all about," he said. "My dream is to see seniors walk safely in
the streets, to see more affordable housing in the city and to create more
and better jobs."

Grace Baldino asked Stewart if the city had an emergency disaster plan. The
mayor answered that the fire chief was its master coordinator.

"There are plans in place," the mayor assured her. "We won’t have another
New Orleans."

Scott Whipple can be reached atswhipple at newbritainherald.com or by calling
(860)225-4601, ext.224.

©The Herald 2005