{news} Eric Brown's tax troubles

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 18:32:26 EDT 2005

http://newhavenadvocate.com/gbase/News/content?oid=oid:125755

Debt and Taxes
Two mayoral candidates haven't paid their due.

by Ryan Kearney - September 15, 2005

Last month, shortly before he was nominated by the Greens, New Haven mayoral
candidate Eric Brown Jr. spoke to party members about the "tax burden" and
how it's "strangling the people who are supporting the city."

At the time, he seemed to be speaking generally about folks who have
difficulty paying their tax bills on time. Little did his small audience
know, Brown was also speaking about himself: He owes the city nearly $7,500
in back taxes.

The bulk of that debt relates to his Russo Terrace home. According to C.J.
Cuticello, the city's head of tax collection, Brown has racked up $6,333 in
unpaid property taxes.

Brown doesn't deny he's overdue on tax bills from January and July, though
he insists the figure is closer to $4,200. On Sept. 9, a couple of days
after the Advocate first spoke with Brown about his unpaid taxes, he issued
a statement to the press in which he pledged to pay all taxes by the Nov. 8
general election.

But shouldn't a budding politician act as an example by paying his taxes on
time?

"I'm not a politicianthat's one of the things I'm saying," he pleads.

Fair enough. What about simply being a responsible, tax-paying citizen?

"I pay my mortgage, my state taxes, and then you got to pay your property
taxes. You got to pay a lot of taxes," he complains, noting that he has six
kids to take care of. "What am I going to say, 'Sorry, girl, you can't eat
'cause I got to pay taxes'?"

Plus, Brown says, it's not like he's running from his debts. "I have always
paid my taxes. I might be a little late, but they always get paid."

Yeah, but 15 years late? That's how much time has passed since Brown was
billed $844 in motor vehicle taxes on a Cadillac Fleetwood he once owned,
according to Cuticello.

"Somebody stole that car," says Brown, by way of explanation. Told that
theft doesn't wipe out unpaid taxes, he changes his tune. "I don't owe them
anything on that because that tax bill's been paid."

Plus, he adds, "It's my understanding that after 15 years they can't do
nothing about it."

And what about the other car, a Cadillac Seville on which Brown owes $279
from the 2003 and 2004 tax years combined?

"My car burnt up," he says. "That happened almost a month ago now."

As in, it broke down?

Nope. "Caught fire and burnt up," he says. "I owed taxes on that car and it
burnt up, so I wasn't in no rush to pay."

Campaign manager Ralph Ferrucci, a driver for Pepperidge Farm, met Brown, a
customer service manager at Stop & Shop in Hamden, while on the job five
years ago. One day earlier this year, Brown was telling Ferrucci about
problems in the community and Ferrucci suggested he run for mayor.

Told that Brown owes the city money, Ferrucci was surprised, noting how long
they've known each other. Ferrucci says he asked Brown about any personal
issues that might surface during the campaign "and he never mentioned [back
taxes]."

But isn't the campaign manager partly responsible for researching his
candidate's background?

"We just don't have the resources to look into it," he says.

All it takes is a call to Cuticello.

"Right," he says, "and it's not something I thought of."

Eric Brown isn't the only mayoral candidate who, as of last week, hadn't
paid his taxes in full. Independent Gary Jenkins, who has pushed for a "more
humane" city tax collection program, owed $247 on his Stevenson Road homebut
promptly paid the bill after speaking with the Advocate .

At first, Jenkins furiously denied he owed that, or any, amount. He said he
pays property taxes through his mortgage, "so the bank usually takes care of
that." After checking with his bank, he assured the Advocate that all of his
taxes had been paid.

But on Sept. 9 he went down to the tax collector's office and learned that
he did indeed owe $247 in personal property taxes from the 2003 tax year. In
a fax to the Advocate , he wrote, "So it turns out I did owe the taxes, but
I never received a bill or even knew about this until you brought it to my
attention."

The city sends as many as six notices to tax scofflaws, including a
delinquency notice, a demand notice, a request to visit the tax collector's
office and an offer to set up a payment plan, according to Cuticello.
"During some period of that delinquency, [Brown and Jenkins] have received
numerous communications," he says.

While Jenkins seems eager to downplay the issue, Brown and Ferrucci are
putting a political spin on Brown's tax delinquency. "You know how many
people owe back taxes?" Ferrucci asks rhetorically. "A lot of people fall on
hard times."

And Brown says he can't always pay his taxes on time while also meeting his
family's needsa bind that many New Haven voters can relate to.

"That's the whole purpose I got into this [race] in the first place," says
Brown. "I'm trying to live. I can't even live."