{news} Fw: Civil Union Law About to Take Effect;[couples wanted]

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 18 12:44:49 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Chelsea Turner
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 3:03 PM
Subject: Civil Union Law About to Take Effect

Friends and Family,

Mark your calendars!  Sen. Andrew McDonald and Rep. Mike Lawlor are planning to hold a press conference on September 28th at 2:00 at the Capitol to celebrate the civil union law going into effect on Sat. Oct. 1.  We hope you will attend this historic occasion and be part of history.  This is an incredibly exciting time.  I will email out additional details later once everything has been finalized (i.e. list of speakers, directions, etc.)

Their focus will be two-fold: 1.) on what a tremendous victory this is for same-sex families in Connecticut, and 2.) on how Connecticut has made history by becoming the first state in the nation to extend all of the rights and responsibilities of marriage to same-sex couples without the threat of a court order. [See "addendum" e-mail below**]   There will be many opportunities in the future to talk about marriage as the ultimate goal.  But at this event, we will focus on the civil union victory.

In addition, we are hoping you might be able to help.  We are trying to find a male couple and a female couple who are planning on getting a civil union in Connecticut and would be willing to be a part of this press conference. We would especially like to find older couples who have been together for many years.

If you know any couples who fit this description, please let us know.

And, we just got a call from the Hartford Courant.  They are obviously planning on covering this.  One thing they are planning is a large article on October 2nd, the day after the law goes into effect.  They are looking for a couple with children, who would allow them to visit a few times between now and Oct. 1st.  They would like to be able to take photos of the whole family, including children, and would also like to take photos of the ceremony.

If you know of any couple who fits this description, please let us know.

Hope you're all doing well.  Please don't hesitate to email / call with any questions.

-          Chelsea

Chelsea Turner

Lobbyist

Betty Gallo & Co.

860-247-4322

Addendum e-mail (second e-mail sent shortly after the above)

Just wanted to clarify:  I meant to say all the STATE rights and responsibilities.  This is why it is so important to continue to fight for full marriage equality, in order to have access to the over 1000 federal rights and responsibilities.

I must be a little rusty.  I just got back from vacation.

- Chels