{news} 9-27-05 SCC Meeting at Middletown Public Library

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 23 03:28:38 EDT 2005

Regarding the Proposal Draft #2, Adopting new organization structure and
goals for the GP of CT, I think these are good goals, but I'm not sure if
it's the best committee structure.  In general, I would favor dividing tasks
among more focused task forces or subcommittees; otherwise I'm afraid each
committee will be overwhelmed and not be able to meet all the expectations.

Following is how our current committees (in most cases just listservs)
correspond to the proposed committees:

MEDIA COMMITTEE (MC): Aaron Gustafson, Co-chair
       Implement press release dissemination system
         Explore alternative media outlets
         Letters to the editor/op-ed team
(These duties correspond to the current Media Committee,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CTGP-media - 22 members)
         Develop & maintain newsletter, email lists, listservs, websites and
blogs
(This would fall to the current Internal Communications Committee,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CTGP-communications - 20)
         Work w/ ELC on candidate/campaign support
         Work w/ LC on legislation support

LEGISLATION COMMITTEE (LC): Mike DeRosa, Co-chair
         Research three issues for candidates @ each level:
local/state/federal
         Develop CTGP platform & position papers for candidates
         Educational campaign for 2005/06: IRV
         Research & support referendums
         Work w/ MC on current legislation activity
         Work w/ ELC on platform development
(Corresponds to current Legislative Commitee,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CTGP-legislation - 7 -  not active)

ELECTIONS COMMITTEE (ELC): Kelly McCarthy, Co-chair
       Identify good races & groom candidates to achieve electoral goals
       Electoral Goals 2005: 10 Local candidates
       Electoral Goals 2006: 1 Statewide candidate; 5 State candidates
(State
Senate or Rep.); 2 U.S. Rep candidates; Candidate for Secretary of the State
       Keep track of deadlines for petitions and paperwork
       Develop sliding scale funding formula for endorsed candidates
       Research endorsements
       Organize candidate workshops
       Publish a state-wide resource directory for candidates by 2006
         Work w/ LC on platform development
         Work w/ MC on candidate/campaign activities
(corresponds to current Elections Committee,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CTGP-elections - 14 - and probably the
Presidential Election Committee,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CTGP-presidential  -16)

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE (FC): Judy Herkimer, Treasurer
       Implement fund raising plan
       Research & produce merchandising (according to budget)
       Provide tabling kits for all chapters
       Implement endorsement funding for all candidates on sliding scale
       Work w/ ELC, LC, MC on fund raising activities & monitor goals
(Current fundraising committee at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CTGP-fundraising - 12 - not very active)

INTERNAL COMMITTEE (IC): Barbara Barry DeRosa, Secretary
         Overhaul & maintain bylaws
       Develop & implement budget (w/ Treasurer & FC)
       Organize yearly internal elections
       Create & maintain approved proposal reference book for EC (include
proposal & date, divided into procedural, endorsements, financial & other)
       Maintain SCC Reps' voting record
       Monitor registration goals w/ FC, ELC, LC, MC (increase Greens by
10%=250 people by end of 2006)
(Corresponds to current Internal Process Committee,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CTGP-BRPP - 12 - Budget Committee,