{news} Clean Elections law

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at igc.org
Sun Apr 23 22:05:58 EDT 2006

CauseNet
----- Original Message -----
From: Andy Sauer, Connecticut Common Cause
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2006 9:35 PM
Subject: Thank you to the Judiciary and Appropriations committees

On Friday, our work to fix the Clean Elections law took a step forward, as two bills were passed out of their committees.  After having seen our priority bill (HB 5610) die in committee two days earlier, we were happy that the Judiciary committee passed SB 66 almost unanimously, and that the Appropriations committee passed SB 625 unanimously.  Either of these bills can be amended to serve as vehicles for fixing the nonseverability clause, and we'll be happy to see either one signed into law.

Usually, I ask our activists to call on their elected officials to do the right thing.  On Friday, they did.  So today, I'm asking you to call and thank them for it.  It's important that we give credit when credit is due.

The favorable committee votes were no accident.  The continued phone calls and emails from Common Cause activists and our coalition allies have helped to turn the tide in favor of passing a fix this session.  Also, on Friday, the Hartford Courant reiterated its March 13th editorial, stating that "the governor and lawmakers cannot face voters this November posing as reformers as long as the statute's problems remain."  I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks again.  Sincerely,

Andy Sauer
Executive Director
Connecticut Common Cause

      Forward this email Give to Common Cause Discuss this message