{news} Green Party candidate hoping for a spot in 4th District race

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 29 21:34:49 EDT 2006

Green Party candidate hoping for a spot in 4th District race
Stephen Miller is confident he could beat Farrell, Shays

Thu 04/13/06
by Mark Ginocchio
Stamford Advocate

Tired of what he characterized as campaign finance "corruption" in
Washington, D.C., a Bridgeport man is gathering signatures to run as a Green
Party candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives against incumbent
Republican Christopher Shays and likely Democratic challenger Diane Farrell.

Stephen Miller, 63, has little political experience and will not raise money
for his campaign. He said he believes his ideas make him an outstanding
candidate for the 4th Congressional District.

"I'm only doing this to win," Miller said yesterday. "Anybody can lose."

His campaign will center on campaign finance reform, domestic job growth and
energy policy.

Campaign money is "nothing but a bribe," because accepting gifts and
donations from businesses influences politicians, Miller said.

Though Shays has pushed for campaign finance reform, Miller said Shays has
been caught up in the culture of corruption in Washington.

Miller said Farrell, the former Westport first selectwoman, also accepts
"corporate bribes."

Campaign officials for Shays and Farrell had little to say about Miller's
campaign.

"Chris has a strong record on the issues and looks forward to meaningful
debate on the issues this fall," said Michael Sohn, Shays' campaign manager.

Farrell's camp defended her campaign finance record.

"Diane is proud to receive over 2,000 contributions from regular people" who
are upset with the Bush administration and Shays, especially over the war in
Iraq, said Farrell's campaign manager, Adam Wood.

For his campaign, "I'm not taking a nickel," Miller said. "Originally, I had
something on my Web site to collect contributions so I can put up signs, but
personally, I never voted for someone because of a sign on a lawn."

Miller said he is concerned about the loss of jobs in the United States and
wants to protect them by imposing tariffs on imported goods.

A former Wall Street stockbroker and money manager, Miller plans to campaign
full time.

Miller has been convicted of extortion, though he says his trial and
conviction came after he was a victim of Wall Street fraud and he tried to
set a trap for those who defrauded him. He explains his situation in a book
he wrote, "Just Cause, Just Facts," that's available on his Web site.

Miller said he's not afraid to discuss the trial and conviction and hopes
his political ideas will help voters look beyond his past.

"There are a many things I need to get across," he said. "Because at the end
of the day, there is some stuff that is going on in this country that is
going to backfire on us."

Miller needs 2,909 valid signatures of registered voters in the 4th District
by August to qualify for the ballot. He said things have started slowly, as
he's tried collecting signatures in parking lots, but he thinks he will gain
momentum because he's turned his attention to college students.

He also appealed to the Teamsters, AFL-CIO and other labor groups.

"I haven't received an endorsement, but I haven't been turned down yet," he
said.

Although most third-party candidates are considered longshots, Miller said
if his math is correct, he could win.

"All the hard-core Democrats will vote for Farrell and all the hard-core
Republicans will vote for Shays," he said. "They're each guaranteed to get
about 25 percent of the voters. That leaves 50 percent for me."