{news} Duffee in Stamford Advocate

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 18 17:55:20 EDT 2006

The last sentence is misleading--the meaning is probably that the Secretary
of the State has not yet received or tallied the required 2,909 signatures.
Some petitions may still be at the local Registrars offices for validation.

David

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/scn-sa-maymin6aaug16,0,3216001.story

Libertarian petitions his way onto the ballot
By Hoa Nguyen
Staff Writer

August 16, 2006

GREENWICH -- He and his family have contributed more than $9,000 to his
campaign, and the payoff so far has been a spot on the November ballot.

Greenwich hedge fund founder Phil Maymin has collected enough signatures for
the secretary of the state to recognize him as a Libertarian candidate for
the 4th Congressional District.

"I am here to represent those of us who are sick and tired of the
stranglehold the two-party system has taken of our liberties," the
31-year-old Cos Cob resident said at a news conference yesterday at his
office at 222 Railroad Ave. "I am here to represent new directions."

In the battle against a Republican incumbent and Democratic challenger, the
31-year-old Cos Cob resident said he will appeal to voters from both
parties.

"I am more of a Republican than my opponent Christopher Shays, and I am more
of a Democrat than my opponent Diane Farrell," Maymin said.

Maymin said he favors cutting government spending and slashing taxes. He
also is against the invasion of Iraq and enactment of the Patriot Act, which
expands the government's ability to track the movement of people suspected
of terrorism.

Maymin, who has spent more than $5,000 of his money on collecting signatures
-- including paying petitioners an hourly wage of $20 or more -- said he
wants to focus on raising money from donors and campaigning.

"The way I'll run my campaign will be different," he said. "I'm going to do
a lot more on the Internet and a lot more on alternative media."

Third-party candidates typically don't garner enough votes to present a
challenge in congressional races, though Maymin could garner crucial votes
in what is expected to be a close race between Shays and Farrell.

Green Party candidate, Richard Duffee, 57, of Stamford, also is seeking to
petition his way onto the ballot, though he has not collected enough
signatures, according to the secretary of state.

Copyright © 2006, Southern Connecticut Newspapers, Inc.