{news} Green party candidates face hurdles (CT Post)

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Sun Aug 27 21:27:03 EDT 2006

This is the kind of letter we need to go to edit at ctpost.com<mailto:edit at ctpost.com> in response to the article in this morning's Connecticut Post. This lets the people of Bridgeport know that there is a change on the horizon.  Lets get crackin. Thanks Pat.

Green Party candidates have to be the gutsiest people anywhere to run for office knowing the odds are stacked in favor of the status quo,  But given time and the increasing dissatisfaction with a system where its one party's millionaire versus the other party's multi-millionaire, the people will realize they have a real choice and not just a change of label.

Green Party candidates don't need polls to identify injustices, like our failed "war on drugs" because they are living lives not insulated by privilege or lobbyist money. Cliff Thornton and Ralph Ferrucci speak from experience, not from a government study.

As an attorney, I watched the criminal justice system in the 1970s collapse under the weight of minor drug offenses that filled our jails to the point where no new admissions were allowed at times. This was compounded with the incarceration of the mentally ill when community based facilities were never built.

Clearly there is one rule of law for the John Fabrizzi's or Rush Limbaugh's of this world and another for the less fortunate or well-connected. If additictions are a health problem, which clearly they are, then why are we still locking people up, rather than diverting them to treatment. Isn't the present system really saying we can just throw some people away?

Perhaps there are no polls to support the conclusion most people have reached that our drug laws are irrational and don't work, never did,  because no candidate even speaks about it anymore. Sure, we all know it's a ridiculous system, but who has the political courage to say it should be changed? Cliff Thornton has.

And how many of the establishment candidates have committed to universal health insurance? Ralph Ferrucci has.

The Green Party may be small, but its mission of social justice and preserving the environment is big.

                  Patricia Kane

Patricia Kane, Esq.
The Kane Legal Group LLC
230 High Ridge Road
Stamford, CT 06905
(203 324-3316
(203) 351-0818 Fax

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman7/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com>