{news} Fwd: Election Reflections!

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 22:55:12 EST 2006

apologies if i sent this already

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Green Party of the United States office at gp.org

     *November 2006*

     *News Headlines*

 Greens on a Winning Streak in DC –
Look to 2007 City Council Win. Election Day Wins

In the nation's capitol, the DC Statehood Green Party won eight of 17 races
on November 7—a win rate of 47%. The newly-elected and re-elected Statehood
Greens will serve as Advisory Neighborhood Commissioners, serving about
2,000 constituents each.

Nancy Shia, a 30-year resident and longtime activist in the progressive and
diverse Adams Morgan neighborhood, greeted voters at her precinct from 7 am
to 8 pm, as were her two competitors (the second-place finisher is a
Democrat and recent graduate of Harvard's Kennedy School of Government). "I
worked harder than they did. My issues were bicycle safety and curbside
recycling--those are Green issues. I tried as hard as I could to meet all
the people and to make it a serious grassroots candidacy." Shia won her race
with 57% of the vote.

In addition to building a bench of qualified Statehood Green politicians,
the Statehood Greens emerged as DC's second party in terms of electoral
participation, replacing the Republicans. This was the largest slate
Statehood Greens ever ran, with 18 candidates.

Citywide, Joyce Robinson-Paul finished second out of two, receiving over
14,000 votes (14.7%) in her race for DC's Senate seat (usually called the
"Shadow Senator," without voting privileges). Keith Ware placed second out
of three in his bid for US Representative, with more than 12,500 votes (
12.7%) beating the Republican candidate. Ann Wilcox (a former elected member
of the Board of Education) easily secured the ballot line with 11,444 votes
(7,500 were needed). Other notable races included ANC commissioner Marc
Borbely's bid for School Board (he finished 2nd out of 5, with 19%), Chris
Otten for Mayor (3rd out of 3, with 4%), and Laurent Ross for Board of
Education President (4th out of 5, with 5%).
Renee Bowser Ward 4's Next City Councilor

On Friday, November 10th Renee Bowser held a press conference at Rudolph
Elementary School to declare her intention to run in the special election
for DC Ward 4 City Council, a seat which will be vacated by DC's incoming
mayor Adrian Fenty. The special election provides a great opportunity for
the DCSGP. Since there is no primary, Renee will compete head to head with a
field of Democrat and Republican opponents.

Renee Bowser, an attorney for the United Food and Commercial Workers, has
already received the endorsement of UFCW Local 400, and from the president
and vice-president of AFGE Local 12 officials. Renee plans to make public
education, the living wage, and constituent services her top issues in
office.

  ** *Green Candidates Reflect*

The Green Party won 65 races this year. This is a remarkable achievement,
given unparalleled levels of negative campaigning against Greens. Our
candidates ran great campaigns. Even though many of them did not win, they
all have a lot to be proud of. We want to give you a chance to hear from a
few of the candidates we've profiled over the last few months. And; what
they feel their campaigns have achieved:
Rae Vogler, US Senate WI
Cindy Sheehan endorses Rae, saying "We need to vote for candidates calling
for peace"

"Everywhere I went, I found people are ready for change. Everyday folks on
the ground, those who are not necessarily politically involved or tied to a
party affiliation, understand that our government is NOT representing us,
but is instead representing corporate interests - the big money oil lobby,
the defense contractors, the pharmaceutical industry, and the credit card
companies. People know what they want - they want a government that stands
up for their interests. They want candidates that speak for them. They want:

The message of this campaign resonated across the state. Over and over I had
people come up to me and say "I agree with you. I like what you have to
say." And the very next words out of their mouth were "How come I haven't
heard of you before?"

I call on you to carry the torch of this campaign forward. The tide is
turning for progressive change and we are a part of that tide. Please commit
yourself to keep up the struggle. Together we will win!
Pat LaMarche, Governor ME

Roy Ulrickson spoke at the election night celebration of Pat LaMarche, "No
matter what the outcome is tonight, it will still be historic. No longer can
media marginalize the Green Party. No longer can Democrats continue with bad
politics as usual. No longer can the Republicans continue to drive their
party to the radical right. No longer can either party take your vote for
granted.... Tonight will be historic because all of you have made history.
Every door knocked, every street corner signed, every call made was a part
of this history. You have helped Pat inspire thousand of voters and change
the political landscape of Maine. You have helped Pat spread a messsage of
hope and prosperity..."

Despite some tough losses, the Maine Independent Green Party has a net gain
of two office holders in Tuesday's elections. Greens Kevin Donaghue and
David Marshall gained 2 seats on Portland's City Council. In addition
Rebecca Minnick won the District 1 seat on the school committee in Portland.
Malachy McCourt, Governor NY and Allison Duncan, Lieutenant Governor NY

Although NY Green Governor Candidate Malachy McCourt came just shy of the
50,000 votes needed to secure ballot status, his campaign energized and
inspired us all to stand up for what we believe in, and have fun doing it.
Malachy's running mate, Allison Duncan, reflected on the outcome of the
election:

"New Yorkers clearly choose the Green Party as New York's third party," said
Alison Duncan, Green Party candidate for Lieutenant Governor. "Julia
Willebrand, candidate for comptroller, was the standout with 108,030 votes,
more than any Green Party candidate for statewide office in New York has
ever gotten. Those votes clearly demonstrate that when voters need a choice
on the ballot they choose Green.

The fact that three candidates got over 50,000 votes gives the Green Party
the opportunity for a legal challenge to NY's ballot access law, which says
that the 50,000 votes for ballot access must be on the Governor's line.

"When corporate and PAC money determines the outcome of elections we do not
have a democracy," said Duncan. "This government will not be a servant of
the voters. We are determined to continue the fight — legally, electorally,
and legislatively to put a party that is not beholden to corporate and PAC
interests — the Green Party — on the ballot and into power."

[image: Support the Green
Party]<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=1&url=http://www.gp.org/peaceslate.shtml>
Are
you a blogger or webmaster? Add an anti-war banner ad to your page!

The Green Party has a dynamic new WEB BANNER AD that can be placed on Green
Party state/local websites, blogs, or personal homepages to point viewers to
www.GP.org <http://www.gp.org/>. The anti-war message and clean Green design
appeals to a wide audience: "Americans know the war in Iraq was based on
lies...Bring the troops home now! Only one U.S. political party calls for
the end of military involvement in Iraq...Find out how you can get active
with the nation's only true peace party."

You can get the code here: http://www.gp.org/committees/ou
treach/materials.shtml<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=2&url=http://www.gp.org/committees/outreach/materials.shtml>.

    * Green Party Earthflower Sweatshirt.*  Keep warm at the polls on
election day with a Green Party Hooded Sweatshirt! The Earthflower
sweatshirt is Oxford Gray, the Kelly Green Sweatshirt has white
lettering.    Union
Made and Sweatshop free in 80% cotton/20% poly, front pocket. $37.50
including shipping.  Green Party online shopping just got easier! To
Order:* online
store<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=3&url=https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/Greens/shop/shop.jsp?storefront_KEY=4>
*.

<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=4&url=https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/Greens/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=64>
*Register Green. Vote Green. Give Green.*

The Green Party does not accept corporate donations. We depend entirely on
donations from people who are committed to building a powerful and
progressive alternative to the two corporate parties.

We ask you to challenge corporate influence in politics by supporting the
Green Party of the United States! Show your resistance to the status quo by
enabling us to continue organizing and mobilizing for real change. Please
help us get out our positive, progressive values to new communities, and to
deepen our involvement where we're already anchored.

*Support us today<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=5&url=https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/Greens/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=64>
*and please consider becoming a sustainer (look for the recurring donation
option).

Green Party online shopping just got easier! Visit our improved* online
store<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=6&url=https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/Greens/shop/shop.jsp?storefront_KEY=4>
*.
   *Americans are ready for Change*

America is ready for the Green Party's message. But we need your help in
bringing the message to the American people!

*Donate now to the Green Party *

[image: Donate to GP Fund]
<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=7&url=https://secure.democracyinaction.com/dia/organizations/Greens/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=64>

*Make your friends GREEN with envy. Become a card-carrying Green today!*

[image: Buy Your Card Online]*
Buy Your Green Party Card Online
*<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=8&url=https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/Greens/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=179>(or
download a PDF order
form<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=9&url=http://www.gp.org/documents/greenpartycard.pdf>
).

The latest, coolest item in the wallets of progressives is the personalized
Green Party Card. For *$36.00 a year** you can be a card-carrying Green.
When you become an active supporter of the Green Party of the United States,
you'll receive our spanking-new card, which shows the world that you stand
committed to time-honored progressive values like liberty, equality,
democracy, social justice, personal responsibility and focus on the future.
In addition, you will receive a Green Party button and bumper sticker, a
one-year subscription to Green Pages, plus all of the information you need
to get involved and active as a Green. Half of your contribution will be
shared with your state's Green Party. *The Future is Green!*

*Order Your **Green Party Card
Online*<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=10&url=https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/Greens/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=179>
* Today*

-------------
Federal law requires political committees to use their best effort to
collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer for
each individual whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year.
Contributions form the following individuals and entities are prohibited:
corporations, labor organizations, national banks, government contractors,
people under 18 years of age, and foreign nationals.

*$36.00 is roughly equivalent to the $1.00 paid for a one-year membership in
the Populist Party of the 1890s. The Populist Party was a multiracial,
progressive, grassroots third party of working people which agitated for
many popular progressive reforms. The Green Party of the 21st century
continues the Populist's fight for citizen empowerment and progressive
reforms at all levels today.

*DO NOT REPLY* TO THIS E-MAIL*
All comments, feedback and content suggestions should be sent to:
office at gp.org.

You've been reading Green Line, the monthly e-newsletter of the Green Party
of the United States. Subscribe for free at
gp.org<http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/track.jsp?key=98830665&url_num=11&url=http://www.gp.org/>
.

Paid for by the Green Party of the United States