{news} Stamford Advocate--"Now is time to head off drug scourge"

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Tue Dec 12 18:09:00 EST 2006

      http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/opinion/letters/<http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/opinion/letters/>

      Letters To The Editor

Tuesday, December 12, 2006
To the editor:

"Now is time to head off drug scourge" (Advocate editorial, Dec. 9) is yet another example of the insanity by our authorities in a long line of insane acts.

Let us not forget alcohol, cannabis, heroin, cocaine and the success we had with keeping these drugs off the street. Now, methamphetamine.

The authorities are using the same tactics to combat meth as they used with all the other illegal drugs. Yet there are more drugs at cheaper prices on our streets than ever before. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

In sports, if a center-fielder drops the fly ball, you can't pretend he didn't. There's also an awareness of patterns - a relationship between what has gone before and what is to come that is so strong in sports coverage that doesn't seem to be there in news reporting.

The authorities and, for the most part, the media have dropped the ball and are pretending they haven't dropped the ball. Every time the authorities announce a new policy on a so-called new drug or the reappearance of one, we do the same old thing.

I raised this issue during my campaign for governor on the Green Party ticket. The press, for the most part, and other candidates avoided this issue. History says "we are doomed to make the same mistakes over and over again."

Well, here we go again with methamphetamine. Let's stop pretending that the authorities have not dropped the ball.

Clifford Wallace Thornton Jr.

Hartford

Efficacy
PO Box 1234
860 657 8438
Hartford, CT 06143
efficacy at msn.com<mailto:efficacy at msn.com>
www.Efficacy-online.org<http://www.efficacy-online.org/>

Working to end race and class drug war injustice, Efficacy is a non profit
501 (c) 3 organization founded in 1997. Your gifts and donations are tax
deductible