{news} Greens Have Real Solutions to the Sorry State of the Union - Jan 2006

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at igc.org
Wed Feb 1 11:01:02 EST 2006

            January 2006

            News Headlines

                  Greens Have Real Solutions to the Sorry State of the Union

                  If you're anything like us, you're probably going to watch George Bush's "State of the Union" speech and get angry about the sorry state he's made of our country. Instead of yelling at the TV or crying into your beverage of choice, why don't you tune into the REAL rebuttal? A Video News Release (VNR) of the Green rebuttal will be available at www.gp.org. Watch elected Greens and candidates from across the country talk about real solutions like Universal Health care, Energy Independence, Genuine Democracy, Ending the war in Iraq, and Impeaching Bush and Cheney.

                  You won't hear any of this from Tim Kaine.

                  Congratulations Renee!
                  We'd like to congratulate ANC Commissioner Renee Bowser on her election as Chair of Advisory Neighborhood Council 4D02 in Washington, DC. Renee is a member of the DC Statehood Green Party and a two-term neighborhood commissioner for 4D. Advisory Neighborhood Commissioners are elected to two year terms to advise the mayor and city council on issues like education, zoning, small business development, public safety and public transportation. Renee was elected by her fellow ANC commissioners to serve as the Chair.

                  Renee Bowser
            Renee, an attorney for an international labor union, is considering a run for a possible City Council race in 2007 and has organized an exploratory committee. Renee ran for City Council in 2000, receiving a number of high-profile endorsements, including the Metropolitan Washington Council of the AFL-CIO. Renee will participate in the Green Party rebuttal to the State of the Union address on Tuesday.

            Impeach Bush and Cheney!

                 The Green Party of the United States has launched a letter-writing campaign calling for the Impeachment of Bush and Cheney. A recent Zogby poll finds that 52% of Americans believe that the recent disclosure of domestic spying is an impeachable offense. Make your voice heard; write a letter to your local newspaper. We make it easy for you by providing sample letters and a way to automatically send to the newspaper of your choice. Don't delay, write your letter today and please tell friends and family to do the same. Click on the following link to go to our automated letter writing page: http://www.democracyinaction.com/dia/organizations/Greens//pickMedia.jsp?letter_KEY=333

            Greens Win Over One out of Four Races in 2005
            Green Party candidates won a quarter of all the races in which they competed in 2005. Out of 177 Green candidates, 46 were were elected to public office in 2005 -- a 25.99% victory rate. A summary of Green wins in 2005 can be read at http://www.gp.org/elections.shtml.

            "The 2005 off-year elections showed steady growth for the Green Party," said Jody Grage Haug, co-chair of the Green Party of the United States.

            The only Green incumbent candidates who lost in 2005 were two Minneapolis City Council members, Natalie Johnson Lee and Dean Zimmerman, who were defeated after Democrats deliberately redistricted the city in order to weaken Green support. But these defeats were offset by the election of nonincumbent Green candidate Cam Gordon to the Minneapolis City Council.
                  "We expect some dramatic Green victories in 2006," said Jennifer Walling, co-chair of the Green Party's Coordinated Campaign Committee. The public has grown disgusted with the nightly news about Republican abuses of power, deceptions behind the Iraq war, Katrina incompetence, election irregularities in 2000 and 2004, and corruption, including the Abramoff charges and DeLay allegations."
                  Cam Gordon

                 Order "Bush Mis-speak" Calendar
                  for all your friends!

                  Your purchase of this humorus calendar is not only fun but also helps fund Green Party programs - buy one for you and one for a friend only $12.99 each!!! Orders over $60 gets you free shipping.

                  .
                  To order click here or the "Order Now" button.

                        Make your friends GREEN with envy. Become a card-carrying Green today!

                              Buy Your Green Party Card Online
                              (or download a PDF order form).

                        The latest, coolest item in the wallets of progressives is the personalized Green Party Card. For $36.00 a year* you can be a card-carrying Green. When you become an active supporter of the Green Party of the United States, you'll receive our spanking-new card, which shows the world that you stand committed to time-honored progressive values like liberty, equality, democracy, social justice, personal responsibility and focus on the future. In addition, you will receive a Green Party button and bumper sticker, a one-year subscription to Green Pages, plus all of the information you need to get involved and active as a Green. Half of your contribution will be shared with your state's Green Party. The Future is Green!

                        Order Your Green Party Card Online Today

                        Federal law requires political committees to use their best effort to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation and employer for each individual whose contributions exceed $200 in a calendar year. Contributions form the following individuals and entities are prohibited: corporations, labor organizations, national banks, government contractors, people under 18 years of age, and foreign nationals.

                        *$36.00 is roughly equivalent to the $1.00 paid for a one-year membership in the Populist Party of the 1890s. The Populist Party was a multiracial, progressive, grassroots third party of working people which agitated for many popular progressive reforms. The Green Party of the 21st century continues the Populist's fight for citizen empowerment and progressive reforms at all levels today.

                  Register Green. Vote Green. Give Green.
                  The Green Party does not accept corporate donations. We depend entirely on donations from people who are committed to building a powerful and progressive alternative to the two corporate parties.

                  We ask you to challenge corporate influence in politics by supporting the Green Party of the United States! Show your resistance to the status quo by enabling us to continue organizing and mobilizing for real change. Please help us get out our positive, progressive values to new communities, and to deepen our involvement where we're already anchored.

                  Support us today and please consider becoming a sustainer (look for the recurring donation option).

                  Green Party online shopping just got easier! Visit our improved online store.

                  Paid for by the Green Party of the United States