{news} (PRESS RELEASE) THORNTON OPPOSES MASSIVE L.N.G. PLAN FOR L.I. SOUND

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 19:30:08 EST 2006

    THORNTON FOR GOVERNOR
  Contact: Cliff Thornton, Candidate for Governor,(860) 657-8438
Tim McKee, Campaign Manager -cell (860) 324-1684 or (860) 643-2282

THORNTON OPPOSES MASSIVE L.N.G PLAN FOR L.I. SOUND

  Shell and Trans Canada‘s Broadwater Energy have proposed building a liquefied natural gas facility in Long Island Sound. Broadwater would anchor this ten story, 1,200-foot long facility in the middle of the Sound, off the coast of Branford.

Hartford, CT-In a statement released today, Cliff Thornton, who is seeking the Green Party nomination for Governor, said "The waters of Long Island Sound are a vital part of Connecticut. The Sound provides opportunities for recreation, fishing and transportation that enhance our economy and our quality of life. Connecticut and New York have made
great progress in our efforts to clean up the Sound. I feel this facility would be a tremendous setback for these efforts."

Thornton said, "We should be investing in energy efficiency, not in new and dangerous
energy plants. With such investments, regional natural gas demand could be reduced by 11% over the next decade. We would save money on our energy bills and save the Sound."

He added "I also have safety concerns, because this ten story facility will be a terrorist target. To protect it will require an enormous safety buffer, both around the facility itself and around the slow moving barges that will supply it. This safety buffer will close off large portions of the Sound to transportation, recreational boating and commercial fishing activities."

Thornton concluded "As Governor, I would make sure we have the cleanest, most well used Sound possible. Under my administration, we would continue the cleanup of this vital public resource, not give it away to multi-national energy companies for dangerous and unnecessary facilities."

-30-

PAID FOR BY THORNTON FOR GOVERNOR

  Paid for by Thornton For Governor -   www.VoteThornton.com
  info at votethornton.com

  Cliff Thornton for Governor- Campaign manager- Tim McKee cell (860) 324-1684 or (860) 643-2282
  National Committee member of the Green Party- Connecticut