{news} Woodland High School seeks third party speaker for panel

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 15:38:45 EST 2006

        Dear Mr. McKee,

  The Political Awareness Club of Woodland Regional High School is hosting a panel discussion entitled: “Plug In, Act Now, Connect! Developing the Politically Aware Student” to foster the growing political awareness of our student body.

  You are cordially invited to participate in our panel which will be held on Wednesday, March 22nd at Woodland Regional High School in Beacon Falls, Connecticut.

  Since its inception in 2001, the students of Woodland Regional High School have shown their commitment to the communities you represent every day in the various philanthropies and organizations they support. Your presence at our panel would underscore our mutual dedication and hopefully encourage greater youth involvement in local government and social issues.

  The schedule for March 22nd is as follows:

   8:15 A.M.   Guided tour of Woodland Regional High School

   8:30 A.M.   “Coffee and
” in the Media Center

   9:00-10:00 A.M. Panel Discussion in the Media Center

    We look forward to your response. To date, we have several local and state officials who will be participating, including State Senator Joseph Crisco.

  Please confirm your attendance or regrets by Tuesday, February 28th to:
  Joelle Blaskey, Faculty Advisor
  Political Awareness Club, Woodland High School
  (203) 881-5551 ext. #516
  jblaskey at region16ct.org

  Sincerely yours,

  Kimberly A. Brennnan
  President
  Political Awareness Club

  Attachment

  Plug In, Act Now, Connect: Developing the Politically Aware Student

  Panel Discussion Guiding Questions

  What does your job entail?
  Why do you think it is important that youths get involved in politics?
  What are you doing to reach and engage high school students?
  Why do you think almost all teenagers are aware of the latest hi-tech gadgets but do not vote?
  How would you describe your typical day?
  Describe the campaign process. What personal sacrifices have you made to pursue a career in politics? What makes these sacrifices worthwhile?
  Where did you attend high school and college? What was your major? When and why did you get involved in politics?
  What single issue do you feel most passionately about?
  What is the most difficult aspect of your job?
  What is the most interesting aspect of your job?
  What do you think of the political rivalry between democrats and republicans at the national level, and do you see the same intensity of conflict in the General Assembly?
  What do you feel is the role of third parties? How do third parties affect the political process?
  What made you decide to join the party that you did? What are the issues that you voted along party lines for and what issues made you cross party lines when voting?
  What piece of legislation did you vote on in this session that you think most directly impacts people of our age the most?
  To what factors do you attribute voter apathy among 18-25 year olds?
  What advice would you give seniors in high school who are about to graduate?

  Paid for by Thornton For Governor -   www.VoteThornton.com
  info at votethornton.com

  Cliff Thornton for Governor- Campaign manager- Tim McKee cell (860) 324-1684 or (860) 643-2282
  National Committee member of the Green Party- Connecticut