{news} (PRESS RELEASE) CT GREENS SAY REFORM "BOOBY TRAP" NOT THEIR FAULT

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 09:39:20 EST 2006

        GREEN PARTY OF CONNECTICUT
  Press release - For Immediate Release - Feb. 20, 2006
Contact: Tim McKee, CT Green Party National Committee Person, cell (860) 324-1684 or 860-643-2282
  Mike DeRosa, State Co-Chair (860)956-8170 or (860) 919-4042 (cell)
  CT GREENS SAY CAMPAIGN FIANCE REFORM 'BOOBY TRAP' NOT THEIR FAULT

      Hartford, CT- Green Party of Connecticut officials said today that they will continue their efforts to revise the campaign finance reform law in spite of a hidden or "booby trap' provision in the new law which would stop the entire law if the Greens challenge an unconstitutional provision in court. A hidden “severability clause“ could throw out the entire law, if any part is challenged in court.

      Tim McKee, Green Party National Committee person said "We are looking at suing over these unfair provisions of the new law, which punish Independents and the Green Party candidates with having to collect over 200,000 additional signatures or 20% of the state voting lists to qualify for public funding of campaigns for state offices. The Greens voted to talk to lawyers and we are discussing our options. We want to work with campaign finance reform advocates to persuade the General Assembly to change this punitive and discriminatory signature provision in the upcoming short G. A. session. But we may be forced by a few Democrats, who may not want any reform at all, to go to court."

       Greens noted that even Rep. Chris Caruso, D-Campaign Finance Reform Committee was quoted on WTNH saying “There were a group of legislators that didn't want this legislation to pass at all last year. In order to get their votes what they did was, they just filled the bill up with issues such as the 'severability clause.'"

       Mike DeRosa, Green Party State Co-Chair said “We have always been for public financing of campaigns as a way of reform on the Presidential, federal, state and even local levels, with a New Haven city pilot project. But the Greens have also said there are many provisions in THIS new law which gives incumbents an advantage.”

       McKee explained proposed bills by the Governor and others to lessen the 200,000 signatures to levels to around 50,000 valid signatures, meaning The Greens would have to collect over 70-80,000 signatures because of possible errors, would still place their party at a timely and expensive disadvantage the other parties do not face. “Greens already are required by Election laws to collect 7,500 signatures just to get onto the ballot for the Gubernatorial race, so there is no valid reason to require even more” McKee added.
  -30-

  Paid for by Thornton For Governor -   www.VoteThornton.com
  info at votethornton.com

  Cliff Thornton for Governor- Campaign manager- Tim McKee cell (860) 324-1684 or (860) 643-2282
  National Committee member of the Green Party- Connecticut