{news} Drug war opponent to speak at Burroughs Center, Bridgeport

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 02:25:11 EST 2006

Press release - For Immediate Release - January 3, 2006

Contact:  David Bedell, dbedellgreen at hotmail.com, 203-581-3193

DRUG WAR OPPONENT TO SPEAK AT BURROUGHS CENTER

BRIDGEPORT, JAN 3--"The Drug War Is Meant to Be Waged Not Won" is the title
of a talk to be given by Clifford Thornton at the Burroughs Community Center
on Thursday, January 12, at 7:00 PM.  Thornton is founder of the
Hartford-based organization Efficacy, which seeks peaceful alternatives to
the War on Drugs.

He will talk about the effects of our failed drug policies on crime, the
economy, and the lives of our youth.

Clifford W. Thornton, Jr., is a retired African-American businessman, whose
mother died of a heroin overdose when Mr. Thornton was 18. As a result of
this loss, he wanted drug laws to be harsher. Now he believes that if heroin
use had been legal, and supervised by doctors, his mother might have lived a
relatively safe and healthy life.

In his provocative presentations, Mr. Thornton explains how the Drug War
harms all Americans, especially people of color: Although the majority of
users are white, most of the people who are in prison for drug offenses are
minorities, and most of these are young African-American men.

Mr. Thornton argues that the Drug War is "worse for blacks than slavery."

"I watched, decade after decade, my native Hartford go downhill, and I began
to delve into the drug problem to see what was wrong.  More and more people
were using drugs and more and more people were going to jail, with no
apparent stop to the flow of drugs into the city."

Thornton believes that the solution to the drug epidemic must involve
legalization, medicalization and decriminalization of all illegal drugs plus
a focus on the medical problem of abuse and addiction.  "Treatment reduces
drug abuse better than imprisonment, and covers six recovering patients for
the annual cost of one recidivist prisoner," he claims.

Since 1998, Thornton has spoken to over 300,000 people in civic
organizations, community forums, debates and college presentations, always
receiving rave reviews.

Thursday's event is sponsored by the CT Green Party, which has discussed
with Thornton a possible run for Governor in 2006.

More information about Efficacy can be found at www.efficacy-online.org.