{news} PA Governor race(- Growing Greens)

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 13:54:47 EST 2006

        GOVERNOR'S RACE: Yorker plans Green run        Daily Record/Sunday News
York Daily Record/Sunday News         Jan 11, 2006 — York resident Marakay Rogers has announced her intention to run for state governor next year as the Green Party candidate.   Rogers, 43, has a law practice in downtown York and served as state chairwoman of the Pennsylvania Green Party in 2005. She ran unsuccessfully for state attorney general as a Green Party candidate in 2004.   She will be running against Democratic incumbent Gov. Ed Rendell. Former Pittsburgh Steelers star Lynn Swann has announced his intention to run as a Republican.   "What I'm particularly interested in is presenting the public with an alternative to a football player and a governor who believes in turning our state into a giant slots parlor as a way to save our school system," Rogers said.

      THE GREEN PARTY OF CONNECTICUT is the third largest political party in CT. The Greens are also the third largest political party in the US, with 220 Greens officeholders in 27 states. Over 80 countries in world have Green Parties. Wangari Maathai, the 2004 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, is Kenya's assistant minister for environment and an elected Green Party member.