{news} Stamford Advocate: Green Party picks Duffee for 4th Congressional District race

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 16 16:26:37 EDT 2006

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/local/scn-sa-green5jul16,0,6332908.story

Green Party picks Duffee for 4th Congressional District race

By Mark Ginocchio
Staff Writer

July 16, 2006

Promising it won't be a spoiler for Democratic challenger Diane Farrell's
bid to unseat U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays, the state's Green Party picked
its congressional candidate.

At a nominating convention last week in Norwalk, members of the party chose
Stamford resident Richard Duffee as their candidate in the 4th Congressional
District.

Duffee, 57, a poet and writer who also has worked as an environmental lawyer
and a high school science teacher, was considered the favorite over
Bridgeport resident Stephen Miller, a former Wall Street stockbroker and
money manager who had considered withdrawing because he wasn't getting
enough exposure from the party.

But after Miller was a no-show at the convention, the party considered
whether it should run a candidate and risk jeopardizing Farrell's shot to
defeat Shays, R-Bridgeport, in what is being projected as a close race, said
David Bedell, secretary for the Green Party's Fairfield County chapter.

"We were considering the spoiler effect," Bedell said in a telephone
interview last week. "Some (party) members did not want to increase the
chances of Chris Shays being re-elected. But we realized if we didn't run a
candidate, we wouldn't be able to express our viewpoints."

Duffee's campaign is centered on improving the Bush administration's
"failed" foreign policy, instituting universal health care and legalizing
gay marriage.

Bedell said he does not think [Duffee's] campaign will draw votes from
Farrell -- who lost to Shays by 4 percentage points two years ago -- and
believes [Duffee's] ability to offer a more liberal viewpoint will hurt the
incumbent and help create votes for the former Westport first selectwoman.

"We're not even looking to necessarily get those votes for Richard," Bedell
said.

Michael Sohn, Shays' campaign manager, did not address the Green Party's
desire to oust the congressman, saying, "Chris looks forward to debating all
his opponents."

Farrell's camp said it respects the Green Party but said Duffee's candidacy
would not affect how Farrell runs her race.

"We're running against Chris Shays and trying to establish a new majority in
Congress," said Adam Wood, Farrell's campaign manager. "Like the Green
Party, Diane has a very strong commitment to the environment and has been
very progressive in her policy as first selectwoman of Westport."

Wood would not speculate on how Duffee's candidacy would affect the votes
Farrell receives.

One political observer said Duffee's candidacy could hurt Farrell.

"There is reason to believe a Green Party candidate can draw support from
the Democrats," said Gary Rose, professor and chairman of the department of
government and policy at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield. Duffee "could
pull votes from the far left away from Farrell."

To get on the ballot, Duffee needs to collect 2,909 signatures from
registered voters by Aug. 9.

Phil Maymin, a Greenwich Libertarian and hedge fund founder, also is trying
to petition his way onto the ballot.

Copyright © 2006, Southern Connecticut Newspapers, Inc.