{news} Some answers about Proposal: 239-GPUS Fiscal Policy Donor Confidentially Protection Response to Delegates

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 12:05:54 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Jake Schneider
To: natlcomvotes at green.gpus.org
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 7:19 AM
Subject: Proposal: 239-GPUS Fiscal Policy Donor Confidentially Protection Response to Delegates

Delegates Joni, Liz, Mato and Liz

This proposal is not about secrecy nor is it about FEC rules and requirements. Donor names, addresses and amounts will still be reported to the FEC and will still be avialable to the general public. Lists will still be available to state parties, candidates and locals. This proposal does not change that.
This proposal is about GPUS controlling it's database and safeguarding the additional information that is in it regarding our donors such as phone numbers, e-mail addresses, call notes, donor history, ect.. This information is not available to the general public, nor can the information filed with the FEC be legallly use for solicitations. All this proposal does is place limitations as to who may have access the data we have developed in our database..
As the current fiscal policy is written it is wide open to access and without any controls whatsoever as to who the information can go to. This makes it possible for our lists to be shared with candidates or committees from another party, telemarketing firms, ect..
While this change in the policy won't prevent that from happening entirely, at least this policy change assures that those receiving the list are making a pledge to use it only for Green Party activity and not to share it with outside organizations. Without this change in policy GPUS would have no legal recourse if that happened.

Jake Schneider
GPUS Treasurer
Marc Sanson
Co-chair Finance Committee