{news} (NorwichBulletin)GREEN PARTY FIGHTS UPHILL BATTLE AGAINST DEM., REP.

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 18:38:06 EDT 2006

Green Party fights uphill battle against Democrats, Republicans
By RAY HACKETT
Norwich Bulletin

            Connecticut's Green Party is the state's largest among two dozen "minor" political parties registered with the Secretary of the State's Office.   There are 1,151 registered Green Party voters throughout the state, and 21 Greens currently hold lower level municipal offices. Eighty-seven Green Party candidates have sought elected office since 1985, and this year the party has endorsed candidates for U.S. Senate, House of Representatives (3rd District), governor, state treasurer, attorney general and secretary of the state.                             OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');                   Because of its "minor" party status, candidates will need to petition themselves onto the Nov. 7 ballot.

  "We need 7,500 signatures and we have about 3,500 now," said gubernatorial candidate Clifford Thornton. "I don't see that as a problem. We'll get what we need by the Aug. 9 deadline."   It will, however, be an uphill battle to win in November. The Greens have consistently put forth candidates for state and federal office without success. What success they have had has come at the local level.   "That's why I think it's so important that we have a strong statewide ticket," said Jean de Smet of Windham, who has run for municipal office on the Green Party line several times.   "The electoral process is very hard," she said, "and we've had our best luck in smaller races where there's minority representation rules or not a lot of candidates."   But for many Greens, getting their message out is as important as winning. Even though she lost her bid in last year's election for first selectman, de Smet said it was a victory in forwarding the Green Party presence.   "You lose the
 battle, but you win the war," she said.   "I think the party has grown because we do get on the ballot and that gives us the opportunity to get our message out," added Tom McNally, another Green Party member from Windham.   Reach Ray Hackett at 425-4225 or rhackett at norwich bulletin.com

  Originally published June 26, 2006