{news} GPC Treasurer's Report

Judith Herkimer jherkimer at snet.net
Sat Mar 4 08:41:39 EST 2006

Dear Green Party of CT,
There are some issues of concern regarding the current financial affairs of the GPC that relate to both organizational and personal liability.

Since late 2005, established GPC bylaws and procedures are not being adhered to. From the GPC bylaws on our website ( http://www.ctgreens.org/bylaws.html ) it states under Organization Structure:

"...Officials shall include two Party Co-Chairpersons, a Treasurer, and a Secretary....(The Bylaws were amended in 2000 to add a third Co-Chair)..."

Since the resignation of two of the Co-Chairs in 2005, there have been multiple calls for an election to take place to fill the vacancies. As far as I am aware, no action was taken to plan for a mid-term election.

Additionally, the question is being raised by many whether "quorum" is being reached at "State Central Committee" meetings, and if the meetings that are taking place can actually be considered "SCC" meetings. Any "Executive Committee" meetings during this period that consist of the one remaining Co-Chair and the Secretary (who are married to each other) are dubious at best. Due to the probable lack of quorum, combined with the disregard to statutory and established GPC procedures, as treasurer I am unable to recognize any votes as valid that arise from these so-called "meetings".

Please know that I am receiving calls and emails from multiple members throughout the state expressing their concern on how the party is currently being handled. Approximately 50% of the long-standing recurring monthly donors have requested that their donations be cancelled. Donors have expressed that they do not want their contributions to support the state party in its current disarray. We are experiencing multiple resignations, ending of campaigns and members throughout the state leaving active participation in the party.

The CT Secretary of the State's Office and officials of the Green Party of the United States are aware of the difficulties the GPC is dealing with. According to GP-US, we are not alone and many GPC members look forward to the request for formal facilitation/mediation be honored so that the GPC can move beyond the dysfunction to a place of accountable viability and productivity. The GPC has an excellent vehicle for conflict resolution that was created in large part by David Adams and Charlie Pillsbury. We should seriously consider taking advantage of that process.

The GPC books will not be transferred until such time that CT Campaign Finance laws are adhered to (* see below) and an audit is completed. If for any reason I am forced to transfer the books, I will immediately file (with counsel) a formal request for an investigation and audit of GPC finances with the CT Secretary of the State's Office. Additionally, until such time that the current authorized internal audit being undertaken by Audrey Cole and myself is completed, I believe it is not in the best financial interest of the party to make any considerable expenditures (this does not pertain to existing obligations, legitimate chapter accounts and legitimate requests for chapter-level reimbursements). There is a possibility that an outside independent audit might be necessary and the members will be informed if that is required.

It has come to my attention that a printing job is possibly under consideration that might amount to somewhere between $3,000 and $5,000. Any request for payment in the absence of the implementation of bylaws, policy/procedure, proposal, quorum, chapter notification, formal quote and statutory requirements will not be honored and no check will be disbursed. If this printing job is indeed under consideration by member(s), you do not have authorization to requisition such services and I strongly urge you to cancel the job.

The current financial status of the GPC is essentially status quo from my last report. On 2/28, the transition from the old checking account to the new checking account is 95% completed ($25 remains in the old account for any incidental credit card processing fees). We recently received a donation of $5,000 from a supporter in California. The most recent bank statement for the old account shows a balance of $13,709.13. I will produce a detailed quarterly treasurer's report to coincide with the next mandatory SOTS financial filing which is due April 10th.

As always, do not hesitate to contact me with questions, comments or concerns. Please accept my apologies for the delay in completing the audit; I accepted the books in poor condition and the audit has turned into a labor-intensive undertaking.

Sincerely,
Judy Herkimer
GPC Treasurer
jherkimer at snet.net
860-672-6867

* The Treasurer Alone May Make and Authorize Expenditures
The treasurer is the only individual who may authorize and make contributions or expenditures on behalf of the committee. All committee expenditures must be made by check, debit card drawn on the committee's checking account, or the committee's credit card. Committee checks must contain the committee's name and address. This information must be typed, printed or stamped on each check. The name of the treasurer must also be included, but may be handwritten. The committee treasurer may allow a committee worker to be an authorized cardholder of a credit card issued to the committee, provided that the individual's expenditures are for goods or services that are authorized by the treasurer for a lawful purpose of the committee. Additionally, a committee worker may be reimbursed by the committee if the following conditions are satisfied: (1) the worker has paid for any permissible expenditure on behalf of the committee from his or her own personal funds, (2) the treasurer authorized the expenditure, (3) the worker provides the treasurer with a written receipt from the vendor proving payment by the worker, (4) the expenditure is for the lawful purpose of the committee and (5) the expenditure is not a contribution to any other committee..

[Section 9-333i(d), (l), (j) General Statutes, as amended by P.A. 04-91]

http://www.ct.gov/seec/lib/seec/publications/2005/party_guide_7-2005.pdf