{news} Letters needed, NYT, Thomas Friedman, "Let's (Third) Party

clifford thornton efficacy at msn.com
Thu May 4 09:32:49 EDT 2006

(Letter sent)

Editor:

I am in total agreement with Thomas Friedman that both the Democrats and Republicans are masquerading as governing in response to the energy crisis.  I would add that they have both done so with other issues as well.  The situation is ripe for a third party.

I differ with Mr. Friedman only as he discounts the Green Party.  I was once a Republican, then a Democrat.  Now I, along with growing numbers of people, have joined the Green Party.  I have found that their positions on crucial issues are the same that citizens and pundits like Mr. Friedman are asking for.

I am the Green Party Candidate for Governor of Connecticut.  Our platform is not so radical when carefully considered.  We will put the environment and science at the top of our agenda, with the fuel problem as the priority.  We have a basic plan to provide health insurance for all Americans.  We emphasize broad educational opportunities from pre-school through college.  We will listen to experts who say that there are serious infrastructure problems and take action.  We will lead an open discussion on the billions of dollars being spent on the drug war year after year to no avail and establish more effective ways of dealing with the problems of drug use (again, with science as the guide, not political pandering).

Those and other ideas are not extreme.  They are the means to a sustainable society.  As Friedman said, the system is rigged against third parties.  Why would we need to start a new one from scratch when there is one that has done the groundwork, is growing and is flexible enough to attract many new members?  We are fluid and listen to feedback from our supporters.

Please, Mr. Friedman, give us another look.

Clifford Wallace Thornton, Jr.

Efficacy
PO Box 1234
860 657 8438
Hartford, CT 06143
efficacy at msn.com<mailto:efficacy at msn.com>
www.Efficacy-online.org<http://www.efficacy-online.org/>
votethornton at yahoogroups.com<mailto:votethornton at yahoogroups.com>
www.votethornton.com<http://www.votethornton.com/>

Working to end race and class drug war injustice, Efficacy is a non profit
501 (c) 3 organization founded in 1997. Your gifts and donations are tax
deductible