{news} Waterford Times article about Nancy Burton

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 19:06:51 EDT 2006

(This appeared in the Waterford Times and maybe other Shoreline Publishing
papers, such as the Lyme Times.)

http://www.shorepublishing.com/archive/re.aspx?re=4e8755a3-6560-4ef0-ab97-8625365c1937

Millstone Foe to Run for Attorney General

By Julie Wernau
Published on 4/20/2006

Waterford - Nancy Burton, founder of the Connecticut Coalition Against
Millstone, is expected to be tapped as the Green Party's candidate for
attorney general.

The party will make nominations official at its convention this Saturday in
New Haven.

Burton, a resident of Redding, was disbarred in 2001 by Bridgeport Superior
Court Judge A. William Mottolese for five years. Burton's countersuit
against Mottolese in 2003, claiming bias, was thrown out. According to the
secretary of state's office, the only requirement to hold public office is
that the candidate be a registered voter.

“I will eventually be completely vindicated,” said Burton, who has not yet
applied to be reinstated and claims that for personal reasons she was unable
to meet a deadline to formally respond to Mottolese's allegations of
pervasive misconduct and representing clients without consent.

Burton, who ran for state representative in 2001 [sic--actually 2004], said
she is mostly interested in using her candidacy as a way to further her
campaign to eradicate the Millstone nuclear power plant. She said she will
not advertise or accept campaign contributions in her run for office.

“I'm very candid to say that I don't consider the likelihood of my election
to be remotely possible,” she said.

So far, no other candidates have come forward to oppose Attorney General
Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat, but major party conventions are not until
next month.

“We don't have a candidate as yet,” said John Cattelan, executive director
of the Connecticut Republican Party. “We're obviously actively recruiting
and are confident that we will have a candidate.”

Recently, Blumenthal spoke at a Connecticut Coalition Against Millstone
rally in Waterford. The watchdog group came out in support of Millstone
whistleblower Sham Mehta, who lost his job after he raised concerns to a
supervisor that a security system around the perimeter of the plant was
routinely disabled on windy days because of thousands of false alarms.

“(Blumenthal) advocated for just exactly what we are advocating for,” Burton
said, “which is safety and security.”

Burton said her work with the grassroots CCAM is a full-time job. In recent
months, the group brought “Katie the Goat” to the state capitol with
concerns about elevated radiation levels in the milk of local goats, which
the group claims are directly related to Millstone. They plan to counter a
Department of Environmental Protection report that came out last month and
found the radiation levels were not harmful.

Since bringing the goat to the capitol, Burton said, the group has had the
opportunity to meet personally with Blumenthal on three occasions and, so
far, has been pleased with the response.

She has asked Blumenthal to join CCAM in a motion to the Connecticut Siting
Council – which approved a nuclear waste storage facility at Millstone
against CCAM's wishes – asking that the council reneges on its decision in
light of new security concerns raised by Mehta.

“My campaign is not going to be an adversarial campaign at all,” Burton
said.

As with her campaign against an otherwise unopposed Republican incumbent in
2001 [2004], Burton said she strongly believes that no candidate should run
unopposed.

“There are third parties because when there are two parties, there tends to
be one party,” she said.

The Connecticut Green Party will hold is state convention April 22 at the
AFLCIO Greater New Haven Labor Hall at 267 Chapel St. in New Haven. Social
hour begins at 11 a.m. and the convention begins at noon. The event is free
and open to the public. For more information, visit www.ctgreens.org.