{news} Green appointments to boards and commissions

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Sat May 20 01:57:59 EDT 2006

Here in Stamford, we recently achieved a small victory for multi-party
democracy.  When asked if a Green or unaffiliated voter could be appointed
to the Environmental Protection Board, Mayor Dan Malloy told us that it
wasn't up to him; he was limited by procedures spelled out in the city
charter.

In other towns, party membership is not a requirement for public service on
a board or commission--in fact, many Greens hold appointed office in CT (see
http://ctgreens.org/elected.html "Greens Elected and Greens Serving at the
Municipal Level in Connecticut").

Perusal of the city charter turned up nothing to support the Mayor's claim,
and yesterday I received a letter from the Appointments Committee of the
Stamford Board of Representatives (= city council).  It confirms that minor
party and independent voters CAN be recommended by the Mayor and the
Appointments Committee for membership on the EPB or other appointed bodies:

"Past and current practice is that the two major political parties submit
names to the Mayor
for consideration for appointment. However, the Mayor can submit the name of
anyone
from any party who is a registered elector in the City of Stamford."

For the record, I've posted the letter at
http://ctgreens.org/fairfield/Stamford%20Appts.PDF

Persistence Pays.

David Bedell