{news} David Bedell in Greenwich Post

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 19:26:15 EST 2006

http://www.acorn-online.com/news/publish/article_10290.shtml

Greenwich Post
Nickerson, Farricker face off
Nov 2, 2006

In the final debate of the election season, state Sen. William Nickerson
stressed his record and experience as the main reasons he should keep his
job.

“I’ve delivered practical results on issues that matter,” Mr. Nickerson
said. “I’ve served my constituents with experience, not only in the state
Senate, but in the state House before that and before that in the Greenwich
Representative Town Meeting. My opponent has no legislative experience and
has campaigned on false, negative attacks. I want to build a positive future
for Connecticut and this district.”

But Mr. Nickerson’s opponent, Democrat Frank Farricker, said the eight-term
incumbent’s legislative record was lacking and that he represented a chance
for a new voice in Hartford for the 36th District.

“It’s time for a change,” Mr. Farricker said. “Greenwich is a great place to
live. I was born here and I’m raising my family here. If we’re not careful,
things are going to change for the worse here and I don’t want that to
happen. We have to anticipate the change in our community and we have to
have proactive, energetic solutions to make sure this stays a great town
where we’re proud to raise our families. I will be there to look ahead and
make sure that the legislation which comes from Hartford will insure
Greenwich will be the great town we want it to be.”

The two men were joined on a panel Oct. 25 with Green Party candidate David
Bedel as part of the League of Women Voters debate.

Not surprisingly, transportation was the first topic presented to the
candidates. Mr. Farricker has said throughout his campaign that Mr.
Nickerson has not done enough to ease problems on Interstate 95 and the
Merritt Parkway; the incumbent defended his record, saying it was one of the
areas he’d spent the most time on as a member of the legislature.

Mr. Nickerson, a member of the Senate’s transportation committee, said he
had been endorsed by the Fairfield Council for Business for his work in
passing Public Act 05-4, which he called “the most important bill in the
last generation.” The act provides for the renewal of all 342 Metro-North
rail cars.

“This has the potential of turning a substandard service into a first-class
service,” Mr. Nickerson said. “We need to reorient Greenwich’s
transportation planning to emphasize public transportation, particularly
Metro-North, which is the heart of public transportation in this area.”

Mr. Nickerson, who was quick to credit Gov. M. Jodi Rell for the progress
made, said he had already met with the state’s new transportation
commissioner, Ralph Carpenter, and agreed with his “broad, new vision,”
including bridge and road repair and expansion of transit options.

Mr. Farricker contended that for all the progress Mr. Nickerson said was
being made, he wasn’t seeing it and said discussions about improving
transportation hadn’t gotten beyond discarded ideas of double-decking I-95.

“Very little has been done to address Interstate 95 over the past 20 years,”
Mr. Farricker said. “We have trains that have been decaying for 30 years. In
New York, people thought ahead and you can see the brand-new rail cars when
you go to Grand Central station. In that state, a Republican governor and a
Democratic legislature worked together to get results, and I want to go to
Hartford and get results and look ahead. I don’t want to just decide five
years ago that after 30 years something needs to be done about the rail
cars. Something needs to be changed. This was obvious 20 years ago and not
just obvious five years ago.”

Mr. Farricker said new rail cars were only part of the solution and said he
would work to ease “choke points” on Interstate 95 that cause traffic
backups.

On taxes, Mr. Nickerson said that the state has a progressive income tax
system already in place that he wouldn’t change. He said under the current
system people at the average state income level of $45,000 “effectively pay
no income tax.” Mr. Nickerson said the top 10% of incomes in the state
already pay above 90% of the income tax.

“To suggest there are further increases in the offing is just not
realistic,” Mr. Nickerson said. “I’m not for adding additional income payers
in the lower bracket.”

Mr. Farricker stressed the need for “tax fairness” in the state.

“Sen. Nickerson is saying that the tax status quo in the state is perfectly
fine,” Mr. Farricker said. “I wonder if a person in Greenwich who pays a
certain level of property tax to educate their kids, when people in Stamford
pay three or four times that to educate their kids, consider it a
progressively fair system. Our state tax system is not just income tax. It’s
property taxes. It’s the other taxes. It’s the business taxes. To say the
status quo is fine is just not logical.”

Mr. Bedel said using property taxes to pay for schools creates “an enormous
burden” on towns to come up with budgets as well as creating inequalities
from school district to school district.

“This is a very unfair system,” Mr. Bedel said. “Every child should be given
an equal opportunity in life and an equal opportunity for a good education.
We need to look at a school funding system that relies not so much on local
property taxes but on state revenues. I would be in favor of reducing
property taxes and putting more of a burden on a graduated, progressive
income tax.”

Mr. Bedel added he supported Green Party gubernatorial candidate Clifford
Thornton’s call for a “millionaire’s tax” and a corporate income tax to be
restored to cover shortfalls. This was likely not music to the ears of the
Greenwich residents in the audience, and Mr. Bedel supported other
controversial ideas in the debate, including a full reform of drug laws that
punish people for simple possession.

“We should not be locking up our young people in prisons,” Mr. Bedel said.
“We should be providing better schools and better opportunities for them.
[Mr. Thornton] has a plan to legalize, medicalize and decriminalize drugs,
starting with marijuana. This would save an enormous amount of money from
our state budget that is currently wasted on this ‘drug war,’ which has
failed. It has not stopped the drug trade.”

When the debate turned to energy, all three candidates said more has to be
done to stop rising utility costs and cut down on demand, which is outpacing
supply. Mr. Bedel stressed the need to explore alternative sources of
energy, which Mr. Nickerson said he supports. Mr. Nickerson said he voted
against energy deregulation in the state and that his predictions about how
harmful it would be had come true.

He said what was needed was the establishment of a strategic energy plan for
the state. Mr. Nickerson said he and Ms. Rell both supported such a plan,
but Democrats in the legislature voted it down.

Mr. Farricker replied, saying, “Sen. Nickerson has the very un-Republican
solution of creating a giant bureaucracy called the Department of Energy. He
wants to make sure more studies are done, which will kick this further down
the road. We need real vision and not just another bureaucracy and not
another study. We need to get down to work.”

kborsuk@ acorn-online.com

© Copyright by Hersam Acorn newspapers