{news} GPUS Proposal 251

Charlie Pillsbury chapillsbury at igc.org
Wed Nov 22 22:52:29 EST 2006

Does anybody disagree with my analysis?  Happy Thanksgiving, Charlie

I agree with Paul, who points to our first key value: 1. GRASSROOTS DEMOCRACY
Every human being deserves a say in the decisions that affect their lives and not be subject to the will of another. Therefore, we will work to increase public participation at every level of government and to ensure that our public representatives are fully accountable to the people who elect them. We will also work to create new types of political organizations which expand the process of participatory democracy by directly including citizens in the decision-making process.

I don't think this proposal passes what I call the "smell" test.  It stinks.  I think we should be using open and transparent processes when discussing public matters and public officials.  It's one thing to handle a sensitive personnel matter behind closed doors, but our candidates and elected officials are public officials.  If you are not willing to express your opinions or make your remarks about these folks public, don't make them at all.  Moreover, when these types of discussions are private, the individuals who are being discussed behind closed doors have no opportunity to defend themselves.  This doesn't strike me as participatory democracy.

I am willing to listen, however, to those who support this proposal.  The rationale given is:  Since there are times when the Steering Committee needs to have sensitive conversations concerning potential electoral candidates or elected officials, this situation is being added to appropriate circumstances for Executive Session.

Can supporters give us examples of "times" when such closed meetings would be appropriate?  Can you explain how this proposal promotes any one of our key values? Thanks for your help understanding this proposal.

Meanwhile, Happy Thanksgiving to you all.  I'm thankful that I'm a member of the Green Party; and that all of you are, too.

Charlie Pillsbury
Connecticut