{news} Fw: Green Buildings Open House

Michael Westerfield westerfield at sysmatrix.net
Tue Oct 3 06:38:58 EDT 2006

One of the buildings included in this Saturday's solar tour, will be John
Ashton Tower, a 100 unit apartment building for the elderly and disabled
in Willimantic.  Ashton Tower is the only public housing high-rise in
Connecticut, and quite possibly the entire country, to have a photovoltaic
system installed on its roof.  A 10.3 kw grid intertied system was
installed recently in in this 1970's all electric building, under the
direction of its Green Executive Director, Michael Westerfield.  The
system provides sufficient electricity to power the internal lighting in
all of the building's hallways, stairwells and common areas during
daylight areas.