{news} AP covers CT Secy of the State race

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 00:22:31 EDT 2006

This appeared in the Boston Globe, Newsday, and Stamford Advocate.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/10/13/news_and_notes_from_the_campaign_trail/

News and notes from the campaign trail
October 13, 2006

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- The Republican and Green Party candidates for
Secretary of the State are joining forces and calling on Democratic
Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz to participate in a debate.

Republican Richard Abbate and Green Party candidate Michael DeRosa, who've
sent Bysiewicz letters in recent weeks, believe she's avoiding a public
face-off.

"It's convenient for her not to debate us. The less information that the
media and the public get about what's going on in this campaign, the better
for her," DeRosa said.

Bysiewicz said Friday that she's willing to take part in any debate
sponsored by an independent, neutral, nonpartisan group, but none have come
forward to organize one. She said such groups are busy with the U.S. Senate
and governor's races.

"I'm as frustrated as he is that there's less attention to our race,"
Bysiewicz said. "But any opportunity I get to speak at a forum, I've
accepted."

Bysiewicz said she appeared at disabilities forum in Hartford on Sept. 16,
but neither Abbate or DeRosa attended the event. She said she also appeared
on a radio interview program but Abbate did not participate. DeRosa appeared
later.

Two forums are scheduled later this month.

DeRosa said he and Abbate are organizing a debate at Yale University School
of Law, Bysiewicz's alma mater, later this month. He said they are
considering sending the Democrat a certified letter as an invitation to
attend.

© Copyright 2006 Associated Press.